Incident Yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont

Contributor
Reaction score
Had a good dive yesterday that ended in an incident that has been kind of bugging me every since.

After coming back from a dive, we were surface swimming into shore as a group of three were leaving the shore and heading out. One of the divers in the group started complaining about being winded and needing to go back. The other divers proceeded to start giving him crap about it. They left him (!) and started heading out while he started in. He started complaining of not being able to breathe, started thrashing around a lot, dropped his weightbelt and still kept complaining about shortness of breath and couldn't manage to keep a straight course back to shore. His buddies continued to head out on their surface swim to do their dive.

We finally caught up with him, my buddy went down to get his weightbelt while I wound up towing him into shore. He was halfway into a panic, but could still take instructions, so I had him offer me his tank valve and towed him back into shore that way. I had to tell him to stop kicking and just relax. My buddy helped him with the exit while I stayed in the water with all my equipment on. We got him standing up on the shore and heading back to his car with his equipment.

Probably a lot of lessons here. The guys he was diving with should really have some sense beaten into them. I hope he read them the riot act, but I'll bet that with 2 vs. 1 that they just won't get it. We probably should have noted who they were and stuck around to have a chat with them, but We were done with diving for the day and needed to scoot.

We really should have debriefed the guy after we took him out of the water, too. It was definitely educational for me that he managed to work himself halfway into a panic in about 6 ft of water, about 30 ft from the shore where there was no current, no waves/surf, and he'd dropped his weight belt and had to be at least 25-50 lbs positively buoyant. I suspect that his BCD was constricting his chest when he had it fully inflated and he couldn't breathe (not to start a poodle jacket vs. BP/W flamewar -- i might be biased there, but i haven't thought of a better explanation yet). I also think the guy could have used an offer to dive with some people with slightly better buddy skills.

I don't know who taught the classes that his 'buddies' got their OW cert from, but I kind of would like to have a talk with that person as well.

Thanks for sharing the story. We all can learn pieces from stuff like this. It's good to see you guys were there to help, because people somehow figure out how to drown in puddles. You never know if the guy is prone to a heart attack. Floating in 6' of water is not a good place to deal with that on your own.

Kudos to you guys and maybe the two buddies of his will read this and learn to take things more serious. Better to be safe than sorry.

lamont:
It was definitely educational for me that he managed to work himself halfway into a panic in about 6 ft of water, about 30 ft from the shore where there was no current, no waves/surf, and he'd dropped his weight belt and had to be at least 25-50 lbs positively buoyant. I suspect that his BCD was constricting his chest when he had it fully inflated and he couldn't breathe (not to start a poodle jacket vs. BP/W flamewar -- i might be biased there, but i haven't thought of a better explanation yet).

Anxiety as a result of poor training comes to mind first. As I see it, the poor training also resulted in him being overwieghted which caused him to over inflate his BC which as I have noticed on several occasions(since I wear a jacket BC) does reduce the ease of breathing. I think your assessment of the BC scenario is accurate. Curious to know if you released any air from his BC or released any buckles or the cumberbund?

BTW just for clarification, I don't dive overweighted :wink: I get teh jacket squeeze from my students during the rescue portion of the OW course. They seem to prefer a highly inflated BC when they get me to the surface.

It's amazing, but the person that is last, starts to panic. I see it often, just stop the group to allow that person to catchup.

In this story like so many others, it's easy to jump to conclusions and without hearing the other side of the story sometimes we fall into a trap.
How far from the beach were you? From what you indicated it was close.
You yourself said that there were no waves or current that his "buddies" could expect to make his return difficult.
Did he ask for any help before separating from his group?
Is it possible this is a regular occurence with this diver? Did he seem to be out of condition?
The only mitigating conditions I can think of are that this might have happened before, that they knew he was with a BC and an exposure suit and that technically the dive had not yet started.
I must admit I've seen a couple of incidents where a diver in a group has been unable to descend due to equalisation problems, a DM has accompanied them back to the surface, seen them OK and swimming in the direction of the boat, and then the DM descended and rejoined the group to continue the dive, leaving the diver alone at the surface.
If I was the DM I'd probably watch the guy all the way back to the boat. OTOH if I was the desisting diver I'd probably tell the DM to go ahead and descend so as not to shorten the dive for the waiting divers.
It all comes down to probable risk & liability evaluation at that moment. This can be very subjective.

miketsp:
In this story like so many others, it's easy to jump to conclusions and without hearing the other side of the story sometimes we fall into a trap.

You got the other side of the story...the guy was having problems..they helped. It seems you are playing "Devil's Advocate", when the truth is the guy was having troubles and his buddies were not there...end of story.

boomx5:
You got the other side of the story...the guy was having problems..they helped. It seems you are playing "Devil's Advocate", when the truth is the guy was having troubles and his buddies were not there...end of story.

There are plenty of threads on SB where somebody relates an incident and everybody has a good bash, very easy. But I think we get more out of these incidents when we try to see them from all angles, as you say by playing the Devil's Advocate at times.
The truth is rarely that simple where human judgement is involved.

One side of the story is the one related. The other side of the story would be as told by one of the two that continued with their dive. Unfortunately they're not available so all we can do is speculate.

For example, if the diver heading back, before getting panicky had muttered "you two go on, I'm heading back", and appeared to be in control of himself, would that change the situation or not?

miketsp:
For example, if the diver heading back, before getting panicky had muttered "you two go on, I'm heading back", and appeared to be in control of himself, would that change the situation or not?

Regardless, his buddies should not have left him...even on the surface. They should have followed him back regardless of what he said.

boomx5:
Regardless, his buddies should not have left him...even on the surface. They should have followed him back regardless of what he said.

Agreed. I think the dive started when they first got their toes wet (if not before) and isn't over until the last guy is out of the water.

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom