In South Maui 11/18-11/25- looking to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ketchumid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Coming back for another great time in Maui in less than a month. Nobody else in the family dives so I’m looking for any others out there who may want to hook up for some recreational dives. Or ideas on any affordable guided dives? Staying in Kihei and have rental car.
Best always- Phil from Sun Valley Idaho

We'll be on island at the same time, but we're boat diving with Ed Robinson's so we can do 3-tank charters since we only have 2 dive days. :wink:

Shaka Doug or Maui Dreams would be your best choices for reasonably price guided shore diving.

I agree with using a local guide, Shaka Doug being one. I wanted an UW photographer, so I took Halemano.

Turns out Halemano is also a great guide. Should have listened to him more before heading out to Maui; we would have done one less boat dive, awesome shore dives, and would have saved money.

The not-so-great boat dive, that ended being a great shore dive from the boat, was the trip out to Molokini. In my opinion, not worth it. Even if you leave the dock at 06:30 am, other boats arrive with snorkelers in no time. There's more fish hanging around the boats than there are around the reefs.

Cathedrals 1 & 2 (lava tubes) where wonderful, it's a 1hr trip from Maala Ramp in Lahaina to Lanai island.

IMO, shore diving it the best bang for the buck for Maui. A guide is essential for knowing where the swells & currents are.
Like looking on a map, you would think shore diving at Honomanu Park‎ (North, East of Paia, road to Hana) would be great.
I'm sure the local guides of Maui would beg to differ.

Shore diving w/o a guide - try Little Beach and Big Beach. However, it's a good long walk with gear. Easier to snorkel those beaches.

We've done nearly 100 dives at Molokini, so personally I'll disagree with Mark that Molokini isn't worth diving. Granted, there are some south Maui sites I like better (which aren't shore diving sites), but we've done a lot of good diving at Molokini where we've been treated to some amazing critter sightings.

I can't wait to be diving Molokini again next month! :)

All good feedback, thank you- still hoping to find some LMD (like minded Divers) for some recreational dives maybe at 5 graves, and Little McKeena, or the sunken warf up Island.

Budget for the trip is going to allow for about 2 guided tours this go around. And I agree MDD and Shanka are good choices for that.

I've done the Molokini dives in years past and the backwall is exciting.

My first dive 10 years ago was on a snorkle trip to the inside creator and they asked if anyone wanted to learn to scuba. I signed up and in less than an hour was 40 feet below experiencing scuba for the first time. The next vacation trip out I did the whole traning thing and got certified.

It's brought me back to Maui over the years and has been a great addition to the experieces life offers. I live in Idaho at 6000 elevation, no scuba here so I'm just a WWD when on vacation.

Back
Top Bottom