Improvised Insulation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey I'm brand new to SCUBA and am two dives away for earning my PADI Open Water. I own an underarmor cold-gear top and bottom and was wondering if that could work as insulation under my 6.5mm wet suit. Are their any do's or dont's to using extra layers to stay warm?

Thanks for the advice!

I personally don't think it is a great idea with a wetsuit. Normally you want a snug wetsuit which traps a layer of water next to your skin that warms up. The wetsuit provides the insulation between the thin layer of water and the water you are diving in. Not sure what underarmor cold gear is and how well it insulates wet but you may be allowing extra cold water to get underneath your wetsuit. Plus it may be a bit of a strugggle to put a wetsuit on over that underwear.

I've heard of a few people wearing dive skins under their wet suits but mainly to ease in and out of them. 6.5mm will do a good enough job for you if you wear it within the temperatures they are designed for.

Hey Scott:

Both James Croft and DM95 had good scoop! I am pretty sure that Underarmor wicks moisture away when wearing another layer to aide in thermal comfort (and to get rid of potential stink).

On terra firma, dressing in layers is key to staying comfortable. A wicking layer next to the skin, some form of insulation for warmth, and a waterproof layer with an inside moisture barrier (like Gore-Tex). Of course, the biggest help is the air trapped in between the layers which the body warms up aiding in our comfort.

In water, James described the wetsuit offering what it could for optimal warming. Nitrogen- blown bubbles in the neoprene are the trick to insulation and at 6.5 mm for thickness you might be pretty close to as warm you can get with a wetsuit. Of course, you could add additional types of insulation such as a hooded top or a half wetsuit but the bottom line, check with your instructor to see what is best for your location. You might not need anything else.

I hope this helps.

With kind regards,
Thomas

Hi Scott.
Ever consider taking a dry suit orientation course? If you dive in the Chicago area, you may benefit by having one. I know the waters there can get quite cold as I've lived in the mid-west. I haven't been diving too long myself and out here in the Puget Sound we used 7 mm suits. I've recently switched to a dry suit and I must say it's freaking awesome!

Hey all thanks for the replies, its nice to hear the dry suits work so well, btw I tried out the cold gear in the cold waters of Lake MI and it worked really well, makes putting on the wet suit a lot easier too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom