Improperly installed inflator valve on a drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fish-Finder

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

I might have been diving with improperly installed Si-Tech inflator valve on my drysuit for a few years.. trying to get to the bottom of it now.

I had a local repair dive shop install inflator and dump valves on my DUI CF200.
I've always had some leaking in the chest area and after numerous dives, zipper replacement and home leak tests I narrowed it down to the inflator valve.

Then I noticed something strange about how inflator valve is installed compared to my friend's drysuits.
It's a Si-Tech valve and the rubber ring that goes inside the suit is NOT glued in to the material of the drysuit.
Basically, it's trying (and failing) to prevent water from entering the drysuit just by sandwiching drysuit material (which is crashed neoprene) between 2 pieces of the inflator valve construction.

Is that an acceptable way of fitting the inflator onto the drysuit, or should that rubber ring or any other part of inflator valve be actually glued to the drysuit?
My dump valve is also not glued to the suit.

Attaching pictures below.
Last photo is my friend's drysuit where it's visible how his valve is glued to the suit.

Looking forward to your replies!

IMG_6318.jpeg

IMG_6317.jpeg

IMG_6319.jpeg

Yeah, that would do it. I just recently installed si-tech valves in my clx-450. I used drysuit glue to bond the gasket to the suit, and then used aqua seal around the edge of the valve port to seal it up. No leaks in about 75 dives.

The Sitech manual suggests valve ports, and if you are using them, they should for sure be permanently attached to the suit. Looking at the design of the Sitech valves, I would say they should seal just fine directly on the Cf-200 without the dock. The suggested anti-friction washer is a good idea. A light coating of silicone caulk could be used if you are concerned about it sealing. Less is more and put it on the sealing ridge, not the threads.

I've had suits with a glued ring and suits without. Neither leaked. You could try calling DRIS and asking them how your suit should be. They work on all kinds of stuff and also sell adhesives (not all adhesives work on all materials).

Thank you for replies! I’ll go ahead and glue the gasket in the dive shop or myself and will give it another test dive.

Interestingly, my dump valve is not glued but doesn’t leak..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom