Import tax and duty from Europe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingx

Still breathing
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Does anyone have experience buying scuba gears from European countries? How much will the Canadian Customs charge for duty and tax? Is there anyway to lower the cost?

Does anyone have experience buying scuba gears from European countries? How much will the Canadian Customs charge for duty and tax? Is there anyway to lower the cost?

I don’t have experience buying scuba gear specifically but it’s pretty much the same with other stuff. HST/GST/PST depends on your province of residence (so 13% for you since you’re in Ontario). Customs tariff % depends on exactly what item you are purchasing. Everything is different and the tariff chart is almost impossible to read/understand unless you’re trained in doing so. Here it is: Customs Tariff 2020

Remember to figure international shipping, foreign exchange and foreign exchange fees on top of that.

Practically speaking, using the country’s postal service (such as the UK’s Royal Mail/Canada Post) is better in the sense that their brokerage fees are much more reasonable and there’s a chance they might not ding you. Courier services such as UPS, DHL, etc., you’re going to get dinged for sure. And their brokerage fees can cause you to curse even if you’re not normally a curser.

I purchased 2 reg sets from the States a couple years back and paid a couple hundred dollars extra (about $300-400) in taxes, brokerage fees and customs duties on top, so I won’t be doing that again! They weren’t expensive reg sets (under CAD$1k, IIRC) but unavailable in Canada.

The international deals always look good until you add up all the “potential” extra fees and charges, and then it usually isn’t.

Unless you’re buying a brand you can’t get here in Canada, you’re most likely better off buying it locally.

I don’t have experience buying scuba gear specifically but it’s pretty much the same with other stuff. HST/GST/PST depends on your province of residence (so 13% for you since you’re in Ontario). Customs tariff % depends on exactly what item you are purchasing. Everything is different and the tariff chart is almost impossible to read/understand unless you’re trained in doing so. Here it is: Customs Tariff 2020

Remember to figure international shipping, foreign exchange and foreign exchange fees on top of that.

Practically speaking, using the country’s postal service (such as the UK’s Royal Mail/Canada Post) is better in the sense that their brokerage fees are much more reasonable and there’s a chance they might not ding you. Courier services such as UPS, DHL, etc., you’re going to get dinged for sure. And their brokerage fees can cause you to curse even if you’re not normally a curser.

I purchased 2 reg sets from the States a couple years back and paid a couple hundred dollars extra (about $300-400) in taxes, brokerage fees and customs duties on top, so I won’t be doing that again! They weren’t expensive reg sets (under CAD$1k, IIRC) but unavailable in Canada.

The international deals always look good until you add up all the “potential” extra fees and charges, and then it usually isn’t.

Unless you’re buying a brand you can’t get here in Canada, you’re most likely better off buying it locally.

I don’t think Canada Post is an option from Europe. Maybe DHL and UPS are the only solutions?

I don’t think Canada Post is an option from Europe. Maybe DHL and UPS are the only solutions?

It depends...what country are you purchasing from? All countries have a local post service, I would think. If the local store ships via the local post service, then you will receive your package via Canada Post. However, the shop might not offer the option, which means you’re out of luck.

Also, if you search the redflagdeals.com forums for “UPS brokerage fees”, you will notice that UPS is probably the worst in terms of brokerage fees, which is also my experience. YMMV.

It depends...what country are you purchasing from? All countries have a local post service, I would think. If the local store ships via the local post service, then you will receive your package via Canada Post. However, the shop might not offer the option, which means you’re out of luck.

Also, if you search the redflagdeals.com forums for “UPS brokerage fees”, you will notice that UPS is probably the worst in terms of brokerage fees, which is also my experience. YMMV.
I’m purchasing from Poland. I know the provide DHL but I can ask them if they can ship through their local post service.

I’m purchasing from Poland. I know the provide DHL but I can ask them if they can ship through their local post service.

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom