Image & Copyright Protection for photo gallery, and other questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubatooth

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Tech admin

i know this isnt your realm of expertise(imaging), but i was wondering how SB was going to protect a users Images who uploads them to the site from having that image stolen, etc ? Is the photo gallery set up to prevent right clicking or downloading of images by a person. ( i know that the images are downloaded in the loading of the page, normally unless being run with a java program or bean), ie like the image loaded in the background and a clear mask over the image to protect it?

Questions

will you be allowing users to watermark there images so that people know whose it was orginally taken. (ie (C) 2004 John Doe, or (C) 2004 www.mydomain.com). I know that users arent allowed to commerically publish them here with intent to sell prints.

2. will users be allllowed to comment on users images? sort of like what goes on in the photo forum currently, with the comments below the tech data, is the tech data for each image user enterable or is it based of the EXIF data from the image?

3. is there a system limit on how big the picture can be in pixels? also does this gallery program auto thumbnail the pictures to reduce the size (ie from 1024x768 to 800x600 etc).

4. Is this software compressing these images even more because from viewing the samples already they really look compressed (lots of noise and artifacts) on my small and large screens

Dan White
aka
Scubatooth

Dan,
You're right, I am not an U/W expert but I'll try my best to explain what I can and hopefully another user can add on to my response.

To start off, right now watermarking is not setup on our end but if users want it, I can add an SB or generic watermark to all images in the fly. You can of course add your own watermark however you like, it is your image to do with as you please. You may also enter your copyright information into the image description along with perhaps a 1-2 line blurb about reproduction if you like.

Images can be commented on in a form-link manner (it actual interfaces directly with our forum software for the posting).

I just enabled an option to display the EXIF data so that will show up as well. As for resizing, the image has a max width of 2500 and will resize for thumbnails and varrious pages as needed.

Hopefully this answers all of your questions about the gallery but like I said in a few other posts, this is a new system for us and we are willing to make any changes needed to make it work however you (the users) would like.

I will check on compression... the photos I uploaded are pretty generic images so they may not have much quality to start with.

ok that answers most of my question i will have to read the softwares white papers to see what features there are.

Tech admin do you know if there were any documentation for this software that isnt avaialble to the public.

also is there away in the PHP coding to gray out the "Save, Save As" options in a right click and for view source under the broswer window ?

Dan

Edit: Sorry to repeat what TA said in some cases. I need another jolt of java :)

1. Custom fields may be added to our Gallery (PhotoPost) which hold not only your Copyright data as text along with another field to hold your site's URL which automatically becomes clickable

2. I believe their is a setting in the Admin which will also parse and display the EXIF (?) data but since this requires the original digital image I think another field would be best so you could copy and paste all your data/settings.

3. The watermarks are global in nature which means they all display the same thing and I prefer to not enable them. You talented folks should create your own if you are so inclined.

4. The thumbnail is created dynamically via the server software and I think the full size image is not touched (only renamed) which is the image and the only image you need to upload. Natch, their could be a setting that needs a tweak so your continued help is great.

5. The script is capable of creating at least 3 different sized images. Upload your largest huge monster and the script should create a thumb nail, medium size, and full size.

6. I believe no right click/save is an Admin option but I'm not sure.

It's a VERY complex script to configure so your great support and help will certainly help.

As of this post it looks like it's cranking away great so maybe have a look and continue your thoughts.

steve i take it from that info that you work with this software for another site.

after looking through this set up i think this is similar to dphoto.us (am i correct Tech admin, this is based off the bottom footer of the sites galleries), but anyways i will have to do some reading for this so i know how it works inside and out.

Dan

Corecto Dan. :)

1. Actually PhotoPost uses the header and footer from our Forum along with our SB member records data so after you log in with the same SB data to the Gallery, the cookie should stick.

2. The Gallery is searchable so keywords are important and one of it's cool features. It's also scalable so 50K different images is a piece of cake.

3. I think and dare I say hope :) that you and Dee and the other shutter bugs might be able to provide guidence for additional Categories. Numerous ways to do this but the hard part is deciding what you want.

For example:

COZ
Pacific Coast
East Cost
Buffaloo Springs
Singles Trips
Red Sea

And numerous other Categories that could be created if you so desire.

Edit: gulp...just saw the specific request for my item 3. Go to: http://www.scubaboard.com/t46472.html

Steve S if you dont mind would you share what site you uses this software on?

its good that there is so much integration to the forum software, so cuts down on the redundent data

as for the catagories thing, will have to discuss that in the photo forum, but i will help out that.

Back
Top Bottom