I'm thinking of taking a trip out your way this

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RogerL.

Registered
Reaction score
sping or summer since I have some family in Savannah GA. I was hoping to get some diving in and thought I'd like to see what SC has to offer. Are their any good dives up the coast (or down for that matter) that any here can recommend. TIA, Roger

Well, since nobody else is responding...I will.

I havn't moved out to Savannah yet, but I will be in a few weeks. Hopefully by Summer I'll ahve a good idea of where the good diving spots are, and some good people to dive with. Just let us know when you plan on coming out so that we can plan something. There are a few wrecks and a coral reef (Gray's Reef) off the coast of Georgia that I know about already. I wish I could give you some more idea's, but I'm just trying to learn the area myself.

It's funny I used to live in Savannah but when I lived there I didn't dive, I started diving after I moved to the desert in AZ. If this trip does come together maybe we can get wet. DSAO, Roger

I am from the area of Savannah - diving there isn't much but Gray's Reef and wrecks are big deal for diving in Georgia.

You are right about 2 hours north of Fl, find out more about Jacksonville and stuff. Surely, there will be some springs nearby!

I haven't dive in Georgia yet but heard some stuff and thought I would share with you.

I live in statesboro, which is 50 miles north and inland of savannah - the water is almost always murky, and the currents are usually decently strong. And I agree with the poster above, Gray's Reef and the wrecks are the general thing to do, along with spear fishing. I know a few people that spear fish and love it. I would say Flordia would be a nice place to hit if you like diving springs and such, or going off the west coast in the gulf is usually nice.

wow - I don't think I have ever written a worse post - but there's a first time for every thing. It's late

Good luck with the trip, hope everything comes to fruition. You can even look me up too if you want to know another diver from the area :).

Will

lived in Ellabell. Most people wouldn't know where that's at so I tell tell Savannah, it's a place they can find on their map. So have you ever dove in Jacksonville? When I was down for a vist a couple of years ago as I was getting ready to leave someone told me about a wreck or something down that way. They said the diving was better, I believe because it is further from the Savannah River. I can see(no pun intended)how that would help the viz and probably would be a lot less current. If this trip comes to be I'll have to remember to get your info or atleast a phone number and I'll try and get with ya when we're down there. DSAO, Roger

Roger,
I also have family in Savannah (Son-in-law is an Airborne Ranger). I saw in your profile you are pretty experienced. When I visit we always try to make a trip to Charleston to dive the Cooper River for Megaladon teeth. It can be about as extreme as a 30'-40' dive can be but is very addictive. SIL tells me that some people dive the Savannah R. for teeth but he has yet to find a charter. Lots of charters in Charleston, my favorite is A Day on the Cooper with Capt. Tom.

RogerL.:
lived in Ellabell. Most people wouldn't know where that's at so I tell tell Savannah, it's a place they can find on their map. So have you ever dove in Jacksonville? When I was down for a vist a couple of years ago as I was getting ready to leave someone told me about a wreck or something down that way. They said the diving was better, I believe because it is further from the Savannah River. I can see(no pun intended)how that would help the viz and probably would be a lot less current. If this trip comes to be I'll have to remember to get your info or atleast a phone number and I'll try and get with ya when we're down there. DSAO, Roger

I've never dove around Jacksonville, went out around Panama City, that's about it. Did my certification dive at Troy Springs, and a few others in FLA, aside from that GA is about the extent of my diving. If you want an interesting dive, there is a sinkhole in my county that is said to hold a few corpses and cars and various other things at the bottom of it. Visability is almost non-existant - and there are usually snakes and various other things. Interesting, like I said. I'm sure the water is clearer and less current around jacsonville too.

I just sent you a PM with my info and such. Would be a pleasure to dive with you.

Will

I like the sound of this dive. Nothing is written in stone about the trip I just like to go and see new places when I can. I'll have to see how far that would be out of Savannah and see if it's do able. Thanks for the heads up, I'd like more inf. Roger

Back
Top Bottom