I'm so done with Google Syndication

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fdog

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I understand the site has to make money somehow, but the recent addition of the hyperactive Google Syndication stuff, and the endless talking ads that make you turn the sound off, are enough to drive a person away permanently.

And what's up with the "you can't see this premium content unless you take this survey" redirect?

/end rant

All the best, James

Hm ... missed that one.

It's the extra tab that sproings open periodically when you refresh the page. Usually the type of page is something like Mevio or Real Estate geographically linked to your IP address. If you watch it happen, it starts out as a "googlesyndication" string or something.

I'm pretty sure it's SB, it doesn't happen anywhere else.

...both Chrome and IE. Haven't tried Firefox.

All the best, James

Haven't seen it on Firefox or Safari, but then spam is mostly for PCs anyway :D

I have never seen it on my PC running Firefox. I would check your system of malware also, my kids sometimes pickup some nasty add servers I have to strip off.

I use Firefox.

I use a PC with Internet Explorer. I have not seen the issues you speak of here on Scubaboard. But I have seen the pop up ads with sound elsewhere, wow are they annoying.

It's the extra tab that sproings open periodically when you refresh the page. Usually the type of page is something like Mevio or Real Estate geographically linked to your IP address. If you watch it happen, it starts out as a "googlesyndication" string or something.

I'm pretty sure it's SB, it doesn't happen anywhere else.

...both Chrome and IE. Haven't tried Firefox.

All the best, James

I'm mostly IE8, and have not seen it on SB. Just a data point.

I understand the site has to make money somehow, but the recent addition of the hyperactive Google Syndication stuff, and the endless talking ads that make you turn the sound off, are enough to drive a person away permanently.

And what's up with the "you can't see this premium content unless you take this survey" redirect?

/end rant

All the best, James

1) There is NOTHING NEW about Google Ads. I haven't changed the code in years. It has been there to pay the bills.

2) Supporting members can turn off google ads.

3) Google ads that are served to you are determined by your browsing preferences, cookies, etc... so I have NO IDEA which ads you get, compared to which ads I get.

4) There is no malicious intent by SB to serve you annoying ads with sound, popups, popunders, popovers, popcorn, pop n fresh... whatever. We only want plain old normal banner ads...

With that said. Please report to me the URL of the offending ads, and I will block them from appearing. While I can't control what you DO SEE, I can prevent things from being seen. But without a simple PM or notification to what upsets people, I can't block them unless I know (since I get different ads than you)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom