I'm looking for underwater poems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stillhope

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone out there write poems underwater?
Why not?

Well, I'll settle for poems ABOUT underwater. Specifically, I'm looking for poems that will help people here in the Northeastern Pacific (Alaska, BC, WA, OR, CA) get to know their neighbors who live in these waters. E.g. I can't use your poem about that manta ray or the coral reef, but if you have a poem about a lingcod, metridium, plankton, or your submersible trip to the black smokers on the Juan de Fuca Ridge :), by all means, send it!

Optimally, when read aloud, the poem will be from 30 seconds to 3 minutes long. I have enlisted the editor of a local literary journal to help me select poems for my TV show. The name of the show is "SEA-Inside:pacific Northwest" and it is already on 9 public access stations in WA and OR, with more to come. The show goes beyond the usual format for nature shows, mixing art, literature, and music with science and underwater video to offer a view of underwater life simultaneously from many perspectives.

The key to this show is that it is made up of contributions from ordinary divers. You can learn more about the show, see the submission criteria, and see an 88 second video trailer of the show at:

http://www.SEA-Inside.org

If your poem is selected, it will be turned into a poem-video. That's something like a music video, with underwater video added to a recording of the poem being read, and perhaps some music added. But the focus will be the poem, not the music.

You can be as much or as little involved in the project as you like. If you want to send a recording of the poem being read, great. If you have some music that goes well with it (and to which you have rights), even better. If you have video too, watch out, you could be onto something!

But if the text of the poem is what you have to offer, that's just fine. I'll have a recording session to record people reading poems at a local studio (Bainbridge Island, WA). If necessary, we'll have another poet read your poem, we'll find appropriate video and music, etc.

I am featuring all sorts of art and science, so videographers, photographers, painters, sculptors, writers, engineers, teachers and scientists involved with underwater related projects relevant to the PNW please contact me about including your work on SEA-Inside (info@SEA-Inside.org).

Now where is the thread about people who paint underwater???

Back
Top Bottom