Im getting soooooo confused

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTwo

Reaction score
Is there a difference between Hogarthian diving and DIR? Is one part of the other one? I was looking at different forums and noticed one called Hogarthian diving. I thougth hogarthian was just a type of harness. shows how stupid I am. I never even heard the word untill I started looking into which bp/w to get, thats why I ask. Is the Halcyon Secure Harness System a Hog harness? I know thats alot of disorganized questions so ty for your patience.

The reason I asked about the Halcyone harness is it looks very different from the one on the Deep Sea Supply website which has what looks like a bunch of quick realeases? It says its a Hog harness so I didnt know what made a hog harness a hog harness. LOL Im even starting to confuse myself now. I do like to do searches and gather information from this board but often what I find is a bash fest were the good stuff gets lost.

Many places offer both types of harness, showing one and saying they offer the other as well.

The thread Kim linked should answer your questions as well as some you didn't know to ask :wink:

To summarize though, 'Hogarthian' is a minimalist gear configuration. There are variations of this configuration, but the basic rule is "take what you need and leave what you don't." 'DIR' utilizes a Hogarthian gear configuration with fewer variations (yes there are a few minor variations, though some folks seem to make a big deal of them :rolleyes: ). But the gear configuration is only the first tiny baby step of DIR. It's a whole way of diving that includes teamwork, situational awareness, rock solid skills, contingency plans, gas management and dive safety. I found that once I put the whole package together, it made *all* of my dives a whole lot more fun, safe and relaxed.

Today I did a night dive with someone I'd never dove with before. He was DIR trained (RecTriox 'provisional'). After a very brief introduction, we planned our dive and dove it. Because we both had similar training, we knew what to expect. We dove to 110' for a stress-free, relaxing 61 minute run time. We were on the same page as to time spent shallow for time spent deep. We didn't review any communication signals at all before the dive and the few communications that happened were simple and clear. We were not elbow-to-elbow for the whole dive, but even when I was snapshooting pictures and he was looking into the end of a pipe or log, there was never any wondering where the other was.

Sure all of this can be accomplished without the 'DIR' training, but for most of us who have opened our minds enough to consider that GUE has something to offer besides ego and kool-aid, the package has been well worth the time and effort put into it.

Snowbear:
The thread Kim linked should answer your questions as well as some you didn't know to ask :wink:

To summarize though, 'Hogarthian' is a minimalist gear configuration. There are variations of this configuration, but the basic rule is "take what you need and leave what you don't." 'DIR' utilizes a Hogarthian gear configuration with fewer variations (yes there are a few minor variations, though some folks seem to make a big deal of them :rolleyes: ). But the gear configuration is only the first tiny baby step of DIR. It's a whole way of diving that includes teamwork, situational awareness, rock solid skills, contingency plans, gas management and dive safety. I found that once I put the whole package together, it made *all* of my dives a whole lot more fun, safe and relaxed.

Today I did a night dive with someone I'd never dove with before. He was DIR trained (RecTriox 'provisional'). After a very brief introduction, we planned our dive and dove it. Because we both had similar training, we knew what to expect. We dove to 110' for a stress-free, relaxing 61 minute run time. We were on the same page as to time spent shallow for time spent deep. We didn't review any communication signals at all before the dive and the few communications that happened were simple and clear. We were not elbow-to-elbow for the whole dive, but even when I was snapshooting pictures and he was looking into the end of a pipe or log, there was never any wondering where the other was.

Sure all of this can be accomplished without the 'DIR' training, but for most of us who have opened our minds enough to consider that GUE has something to offer besides ego and kool-aid, the package has been well worth the time and effort put into it.

Makes sense. I guess Im just very confused because I have decided to change my whole gear configuration and after constant reading and searching for 3 days my poor eyes and mind are just pooped out :) Ty you all for your answers.

ScubaTwo:
...I have decided to change my whole gear configuration...
Since you posted this in the DIR forum, you are obviously interested enough in the system to learn more about it. Soooooo....... again..... the gear configuration, while important, is just the very first turn in the path to DIR. Without the rest of the package, the gear configuration, no matter how conforming to the current standard, is not DIR. It's just a form of hogarthian gear configuration :wink:

Snowbear:
Since you posted this in the DIR forum, you are obviously interested enough in the system to learn more about it. Soooooo....... again..... the gear configuration, while important, is just the very first turn in the path to DIR. Without the rest of the package, the gear configuration, no matter how conforming to the current standard, is not DIR. It's just a form of hogarthian gear configuration :wink:

Yes, the link Kim sent was very helpful in sorting that out.

ScubaTwo:
The reason I asked about the Halcyone harness is it looks very different from the one on the Deep Sea Supply website which has what looks like a bunch of quick realeases? It says its a Hog harness so I didnt know what made a hog harness a hog harness.
Deep Sea Supply offers both a standard Hogarthian harness and a non-standard harness with quick-release buckles. Sounds like you were looking at the latter. I would recommend contacting Tobin with any questions you might have about his gear. He's very good about explaining things ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom