I'm addicted..... to freecycle.org

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ann Marie

be happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well to tell the truth, there are a few things that I'm addicted to that I'd rather not be but here's a good one:

The Freecycle Network

I try to be more aware of my impact on the environment and while I can't do everything, every little bit help. Besides, I've got tons of stuff to clean out and would love to see a lot of it recycled or should I say freecycled.

It is amazing what is offered and taken!

Here's a blurb from the homepage:

Welcome! The Freecycle Network™ is made up of 4,799 groups with 7,192,000 members across the globe. It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. It's all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills. Each local group is moderated by a local volunteer (them's good people). Membership is free. To sign up, find your community by entering it into the search box above or by clicking on “Browse Groups” above the search box. Have fun!

Ann Marie, I too have been bitten by the freecycle bug. I posted about 60 things last month and everything got taken. It was great. Stuff I was going to give to good will or throw away, lots of people had a use for. I even tried the other side of it and received concert tickets for free. It all works out. Everyone should give it a try.

Thanks A M, I just posted n old inkjet printer I don't use anymore & was reluctant just to trash it.
BTW, is this site OK for classifieds as well (apart from gifting for free)
TIA.

Hi, Ann Marie, :hugs:

What a great site, thanks for pointing me toward it...you realize that this will cut into my SB time. :shocked2:

BTW, is this site OK for classifieds as well (apart from gifting for free)
I believe it's against the charter of all freecycle groups to use them for classifieds. If the mod of a freecycle group spots something like that they'd probably suggest you use something like craigslist. (And if postings are actually moderated I expect they wouldn't allow a for sale ad too get posted at all.)

The other thing they don't seem to like is stuff like coupons and tickets, though tolerance for this this may depend on the mod of the group. The ones I belong to, they want items to pass the "landfill test" - basically are you actually keeping something out of one?

I don't know all the ins and outs yet, but I've been able to get rid of stuff that I've been too lazy to do anything with or to figure out what to do with.

It still amazes me what people want.

I don't know all the ins and outs yet, but I've been able to get rid of stuff that I've been too lazy to do anything with or to figure out what to do with.

It still amazes me what people want.

Exactly why I'm glad you turned me onto the site, I have lots of clutter but am too lazy so this will help.

You know what they say..."One man's garbage is another man's treasure"

I use the free section on Craigslist to give away a lot of items that I would have had to pay to dispose of such as washers, dryers, refrigerators, truck rims, monitors, TVs, computers, car and motorcycle parts, bicycles, garden supplies/tools, livestock, furniture, household stuff, construction supplies, etc.

I'll check out the freecycle. I thought it had to do with using bicycles over gas vehicles when I saw the title to the thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom