I'm a new, 6'5", size 15 foot diver looking to buy gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheSquid

New
Reaction score
I am new to diving, I am about to start a training course at my local dive center. I need to buy fins, a mask, snorkel, and boots in order to start classes.

I would greatly appreciate any advice and recommendations.

Thank you

I just got all new gear. I am not as big as you, but fortunately they make gear in different sizes. Here is what I recommend

1. Hollis F1. They have a very large pocket that the XXL should fit your foot. They also have spring straps. That trust me, make it a lot easier to take on and off. Which will be an issue for someone your size and experience level, while bobbing at surface.

2. Mask. This is something you need to fit out personally. I recommend a low profile 2 lens design. Don't spend a ton of money here at first, and go with something you will feel comfortable with and seals well. Like the training book says, do a suction test and see if it stays on

3. Snorkel... as cheap as possible, as you probably will never use it as a scuba diver. I lost mine on dive 3 and have not looked back

oh btw, welcome to Scubaboard and your new addiction

Hey Dr. Dog,

Thanks for your input.

I was looking at a couple of mares fins, the Volo power and the X-stream. Can anyone with size 14+ confirm using these?
I was configuring a mask, fin, boot, mask package and the volo power is available for this packages and the complete cost for the package with Mares X-vision liquidskin mask and a snorkel and boots is ~$250

Hey Dr. Dog,

Thanks for your input.

I was looking at a couple of mares fins, the Volo power and the X-stream. Can anyone with size 14+ confirm using these?
I was configuring a mask, fin, boot, mask package and the volo power is available for this packages and the complete cost for the package with Mares X-vision liquidskin mask and a snorkel and boots is ~$250

I'm your size....my suggestion is try it on and if it fits......I like Aeris Velocity 3 fins, besides the APS Manta Rays the only fin that a 7mm boot will fit in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom