I'll Be In Sydney in Late August - Where Should I Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randallr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I posted this in the Australia forum, but I wanted to reach here for guidance, too. I've got a business trip scheduled to Sydney in late August. I'd been excitedly thinking about following it with a liveaboard out of Cairns, to the Great Barrier Reef and Coral Sea. But then I saw the average water temp there and then is 75 degrees. I'm an 80+ degree diver, and I'm not ashamed to say it: I don't like the claustrophobia of hoods, and I appreciate a non-shaky camera. So my question to the well-traveled among you is: Where else in the APAC region might I go?

I see Jakarta, Singapore, and Manila are all within 8 hours or so of Sydney. So where would you fly for a great underwater experience (ideally, with some topside culture nearby, too)? I'm really eager for suggestions. I'm looking for healthy reefs, great marine life, excellent photo opportunities, macro photography if I can get it, and fantastic Asian food and atmosphere would be a wonderful add-on.

And if you think I'm making a terrible mistake and think I should still do a liveaboard out of Cairns, let me know!

Okay, I would be looking at diving Sydney personally, but it will definitely be cold at that time of year.

Most cost effective trip would be to Manila then down to Anilao / Puerto Galera. Enough macro photography to knock yer socks off, but the food isn't going to be too amazing.

Jakarta or Singapore you will need to take another flight (4 hrs ish) and get to Manado, North Sulawesi, longer travel time, great diving and great food.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom