Ilhabela - Any recent experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hal

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone been diving in Ilhabela recently? Good shops, ideally tech but if not rec? Decent diving? Wetsuit or drysuit in December?

Thanks!

Hal

Hal

TDI lists Mar Sub in Santos (marsubsantos.com.br) as a Tech Dive Center, maybe they can point you to the right direction. IANDT lists an instructor (Adv Rec Trimix) in Caraguatatuba that is close to Ilhabela.

I have only dived in Fernando de Noronha which is supposed to be the top dive site in Brazil and honestly I would say that Key Largo is probably better than FN, so do not keep your expectations too high. Not trying to bash, I am from Brazil, just stating my perception.

December is summer and should be warm but the water in Sao Paulo State Northeast tend to be on the cold (not CA cold though). I am planning to do some diving in Laje de Santos this December with my drysuit.

Thanks for input. Will explore those options! Enjoy your diving down there as well.

Hal

I was just at Ilhabela at the end of March, diving with Colonial Divers. We just dived at Ilha das Cabral which is right across a narrow channel from the shop. It was nice and fishy, though the visibility was not great (6 meters?) due to a heavy rain the night before. Rocky bottom with few corals. Water temp about 26 C. It was fun to dive while I was in Brazil on business but I would not make a special trip just to dive at this site.

Back
Top Bottom