Ikelite??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hey guys,

So about to start upgrading the camera set up as we are about to start up more of an actual photography business than just shooting in dive centres so we are trying to rattle our brains on what route to go down.

Currently using g7x Mark ii in fantasea housing, aoi wa lens, inon stobes and tg5 for macro and teaching.

So we are looking at buying the GH5 with probably the 8mm fish eye, and something like 7-14mm wide angle

We just can't decide if to buy the ikelite housing with 8 inch front dome or spend more on the nauticam.

Never owned an ikelite housing and the camera will be in the water almost everyday so are these housings upto that. The system is already going to be 8000 euro all up in an ikelite housing.

Also any other tips or advice on what to look at/consider is appreciated. The camera is mostly being used for wide angle photography and video.we will still be using the tg5 and g7x for macro stuff.

I don't shoot the GH5, so take what I write as a suggestion, and with a huge grain of salt. I may not have a complete picture so to speak.

Have you considered an Aquatica housing for the GH5? Aquatica housings are world renown for their quality and are typically milled out of a single block of aluminum. It would give you most if not all of the advantages of the Nauticam, but at a price that falls closer to the Ikelite than it does to the Nauticam. (It is available here for $1799US.) It also offers the flexibility that you can order it with your choice of hookups for the strobes.

It also might be in your interest to check out these reviews of the GH5 and housings.

It might be a viable option. It might not meet your needs. Only you will know for sure, but it might be worth a look.

I used to have an Ikelight for my Canon G16. It was bad from the beginning on and ruinend my whole Galapagos trip. It cracked, it had pressure problems already at shallow depth and it leaked on dive 10 destroying all my gear. Never ever I will go back to Ikelight.

I have used ikelite for the last 30+ years and have never had a problem with any of their housings .

I now have 2 Ikelite housings one for a Nikon D300 and the other for an Olympus E30 in the past I have had Ikelite housings for a Nikon D50,Olympus E 330,several older SLR cameras .

I now have 4 DS-160 strobes plus many assorted Ikelite U/W lights.

Throughout the years I have been very happy with Ikelite products and service.

I've had multiple Ikelite housings and Ikelite strobes for over 10 years. My current Ikelite housing is for a Canon G-15 which has worked well for several hundred dives over the last five years; I have two DS-161 strobes and the electrical TTL works well. I have had good communication with and performance by the company for routine maintenance of the housing and the strobes. I have no complaints.

At 30 meter / 100 feet it was hard to control the butons of my ikelite housing. Turn the camera on/off, change aperture/ shutter speed was already hard. My hugyfot housing is much better.

Ikelite did change the port system at least 3 times. My D70 housing did secure the port at 2 points, my d7100 housing at 4 points and now they have a new system for ports.

I will never buy Ikelite again.

I think that the real question you will be happier with the Nauticam (or Aquatica). The ergonomics will be better and although there are very few photos you could take with the Nauticam that you couldn't get with the IKE, better handling means there will be some. If you dive a lot, (like you said every day) then the extra $800 for the Nauticam will be about 15 cents per dive in a couple of years

Enjoy

BVA

Thanks for the response guys. Yeah think we are going with the aquatica housing and dome option. Have read good reviews on the housings. Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom