Ikelite vs Canon housing for G11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wrybosome

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Both (I think) allow access to all controls. Is there something wrong with the Canon housing? What makes the Ikelite so much better? The price difference is not small.

Will you be looking to add aything to this set-up? If you are going to want to add strobes etc., then that needs to be a factor. If you go Ike for everything, everything is properly fit for each item. My old Canon + housing was fairly buoyant but the Ike, because of the depth rating is much heavier. I have had both and I belive the Ike is far better built but I never had an issue at any point with the Canon housing. Personally, I would go with the Ike (if given those two options) simply because of the flexibility in the future and it's more rugged design and building.

Thanks. I plan on adding a strobe, so I'll take that into account. I thought that anybody's strobe would work with anybody's housing. Not so?

It is a matter of how they mount and how they are controlled. You can make anything work. I am a little picky when it comes to that sort of thing though......If I go one way, I stay that way. The Ike housing has a handle/tray that attaches to it that you mount the strobes on (can get single or dual handle tray but I have never seen anything like that properly designed for the Canon....this does not mean one does not exist. Anything can be jerry rigged (sp?) but if you want a system that was designed to mate up without modification, then take that into consideration. Also, the Ike housing has proper integrated controls/wiring for it's strobes....I doubt that control is possible to use when mixing and matching.

I have not looked but I am sure there are other housings as well. I have just owned both an Ike and Canon and there are very significant differences where the Ike comes out on top. Both in design and structurally.

if you go with almost any fiber optic controlled strobe, the canon case will work fine. Ikelite strobes do not have the fiber optic capabilities. Another difference in the case is that there are many more lens with the ikelite case than the canon case. But you can buy an adapter to fit the canon case.

I have a g11/canon oem case/ inon x240 strobes.

if you go with almost any fiber optic controlled strobe, the canon case will work fine. Ikelite strobes do not have the fiber optic capabilities. Another difference in the case is that there are many more lens with the ikelite case than the canon case. But you can buy an adapter to fit the canon case.

I have a g11/canon oem case/ inon x240 strobes.

Does the Canon case have a way to add w/a and macro lenses?

I have the Ikelite housing and I am quite pleased with it. The housing supports TTL flash if you use an Ikelite Strobe. That is an advantage if you want to use a strobe later.

I think you will find that you can take decent photos if it is sunny and you are in shallow water. But if you go down very far, it becomes a blue world. So photos without a strobe become problematic.

If you are going to be taking photos in shallow water, the canon case should be fine.

I have heard of some problems with the canon case. But there are some accomplished photographers who use them and do fine.

The Ikelite housing is more than twice the canon housing. If that bothers you, you might want to go with the Canon housing. Even the Ikelite housing is considered "inexpensive" and of reasonably high quality. The Fix and Patima housings for the G11 cost about $1000.

Does the Canon case have a way to add w/a and macro lenses?

a few options:
wide angle:(i have this.it is ok. not easy to remove underwater)
Fantasea Line Water Sports Photo Products & Accessories- BigEye Lenses

macro:
Fantasea Line Water Sports Photo Products & Accessories- SharpEye Lenses
with Fantasea Line Water Sports Photo Products & Accessories- EyeDaptor G Series-F67 with this adapter you can use any lens. not sure how well.

fiber optic connector.
Xit 404 Canon WP-DC34 (G11) Fiber Optic Cable Mount

Back
Top Bottom