Ikelite Substrobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamedicjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
What is the big difference with this Ikelite SubStrobe100a and the Ikelite SubStrobe125 I know the 125 is stronger but will both work for an Olympus C5050 with Olympus housing.

Medic...I think I remember Ike himself saying that none of the SubStrobes were compatible with digital cameras.

But I could also be wrong!

The DS-125 is setup to respond to the C-5050 pre-flash. The substrobe will dump its entire load on the pre-flash and not have time to recycle for the main flash. In short, the substrobe won't work with the C-5050 in normal mode. The C-5050 can be programmed to shut off the pre-flash, but you lose all the automatic exposure control.

well hear the info I recieved from ikelite.
The old SubStrobe 100 / Ai is not ideal for these new digital
cameras, but could work with the following limitations:

The 5050 must be in Slave mode which eliminates the preflash. Then a
#4100 TTL Slave Sensor can be attached to the SubStrobe Ai and aimed
at the camera. TTL position can not be used, but this would provide
full and half power manual strobe settings.

This strobe could be combined with our #6130.51 housing for the
Olympus 5050 camera which allows connection with a sync cord. The
same manual restrictions would apply.

http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/oly_5050.html

But, Dee: All Ikelite strobes are SubStrobes, and all SubStrobes are from Ikelite. And we got one of them to work with a digital camera once............

ike once bubbled...
But, Dee: All Ikelite strobes are SubStrobes, and all SubStrobes are from Ikelite. And we got one of them to work with a digital camera once............
I DID say I could be wrong! :huh:

Back
Top Bottom