ikelite SLR ports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mprocter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the market for an Ikelite SLR housing.
I understand that the lens ports are constructed of polycarbonate, but are glass optics incorporated in the lens ports?

I suggest you go to Ikelites website and/or call Ikelite. They have an amazing customer service department that will deal truthfully with you.

No, all of the surfaces are poly-carb. Ike doesn't use any glass. There was a huge thread at rec.scubadiving.net about the whole plastic vs. glass debate. Optically, I can't any flaws in my shots with my new Ike housed N90. What I did find out, after 2 weeks of heavy use in a crowded rinse tank, was that the plastic is a little prone to scratching. Ike says that the plastic they use has almost the same refractive index as water and most minor exterior scratches will fill with water and not affect the port.

Hello,

Ikelite uses lucite for the body and i'm not sure if it's the same material for the ports or not, I suspect that it is.

If you scratch the external side of a dome port don't worry about it. Once under the water will fill the scratch up and you'll never see it. Next time your down notice the scratches on the surface and try to find them underwater.

As for glass vs plastic for the dome it doesn't matter opticaly because it's the water that makes the biggest difference. Besides if it was glass we would see a serious rise in floods.

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom