Ikelite Service Kudo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peacoe

New
Reaction score
# of dives
There’s an old adage in underwaterphotography: there are those who have flooded their camera and those who aregoing to flood their camera. Well, after 25 years of diving, it happenedto me on our last trip to Bonaire, on the first dive, no less.

I have a Nikon D-300 and generallyuse a Nikon 105mm micro lens in an Ikelite housing. My first assumption,naturally, was I hadn’t properly set-up the system. There were a fewexpletives uttered when we got back to shore. Upon our return from thetrip, I sent the housing to Ikelite and the camera plus lens to Nikon forassessment. Nikon came back with a $250 repair estimate for the lens andreported my D-300 was toast; fair enough. Well, I don’t want to give up underwaterphotography, so I authorized the lens repair and went to online sources for areplacement D-300. The D-300 is no longer manufactured by Nikon so Ibought another camera body from the local Craigslist and paid cash.

Ikelite’s Service Department techrepresentative, Steve Johnson, came back meanwhile and indicated that thehousing was the culprit and not the set-up. Amazing! On theD-300 housing, there is a mounting for a modeling light and apparently that mountingfailed. There were some additional minor repairs to the housing. Ikelite asked the for repair and replacement costs for the camera which Iprovided; of course, I couldn’t provide a receipt for the D-300 body since Ihad paid cash for it. Bottom line is that Ikelite serviced the housing,made all repairs and sent me a check for the full cost of repairing the lensand replacing the camera body. The only Ikelite expense was sending thehousing and ports to them.

In today’s world, one might haveexpected less. Ikelite could have repaired the housing and not identifiedthe cause of the failure. They also could have said that the housing wasout of warranty and charged me for the repairs. They did neither. My dive retailer, Steve Weaver of Weaver's Dive & Travel had told me they stand by their products and now I know it first-hand. Ikelite fully accepted the responsibility and provided me with service aboveand beyond my expectations.

Weaver had been the one to recommendIkelite to me years ago and I’ve purchased several housings from/them. This recent experience is evidence of the reason for his recommendation. I want everyone to know that I appreciate a company withsuch outstanding business ethics and want somehow to convey my respect fortheir actions to the diving and underwater photography community.

Praise where praise is due.
That is fantastic service.

:acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim:

Great to hear!!

That par for them. Their service is exceptional even when the dumb mistake is my fault. So are most of the major UW housing/parts folks, i.e. Aquatica, ULCS from my experience.

That reminds me. I flooded a DS-51 on my last trip to Bonaire and it needs to go back.

Back
Top Bottom