Ikelite Housing Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

btscott

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So, finally received all the pieces to the puzzle in building a new rig. Put it together yesterday to make sure everything works.

Ikelite Canon 80D Housing
Ikelite DS160 Strobes x2
Orcatorch D910v x2 for video
Kraken sports hydra 1000+ wsr for focus light
Ikelite TTL converter
Ikelite 8" Dome port and extension tube
Extension arms, etc...

23 lbs....

Found with the camera in the housing, the Live View start/stop did not work and just spun in circles. The main dial on top made intermittent contact, mostly no contact. The quick control dial made no contact at all.

Contacted Ikelite today and they are sending a label to get it back to them for repair. Never had to use Ikelite before for repair with previous housing, so see how it goes.

Following because I'm interested in how this plays out. BTW, what lens were you planning on running?

I had this issue before with my old SD630 housing. Sent them both the camera and the housing, and they modified the controls to work correctly, and never had another issue with it.

I found it annoying that this step was even required. I ended up moving away from Ikelite for my next build.

Did you remove the viewfinder trim piece on the camera? I have forgotten in the past with new setups and it makes the fit just off enough that the main top dial didn't work well.

I also had a nikon d7000 in an aquatica housing that the live view button would make everything freeze up, but only underwater. Never solved that one, including several trips to Backscatter. Once I got a back up body and swapped it out, the problem went away... acceptable tolerance specs on the body I guess.

-Chris

Did you remove the viewfinder trim piece on the camera? I have forgotten in the past with new setups and it makes the fit just off enough that the main top dial didn't work well.

I also had a nikon d7000 in an aquatica housing that the live view button would make everything freeze up, but only underwater. Never solved that one, including several trips to Backscatter. Once I got a back up body and swapped it out, the problem went away... acceptable tolerance specs on the body I guess.

-Chris

Never heard of having to remove viewfinder trim piece. Nothing in the manual about having to do this.

Never heard of having to remove viewfinder trim piece. Nothing in the manual about having to do this.

I had to remove the fairly thick plastic protector from the LCD on all my Nikon DSLRs. If you have one of those get rid of it and buy an paper thin Tempered Glass screen protector for the screen. Won't interfere with the housing, more durable, cheap and easy to replace over time.

I had to remove the fairly thick plastic protector from the LCD on all my Nikon DSLRs. If you have one of those get rid of it and buy an paper thin Tempered Glass screen protector for the screen. Won't interfere with the housing, more durable, cheap and easy to replace over time.

This is a Canon camera. Think we may have different issues. The Live View start/stop just spins, so think its a glue issue. The other two problems, main dial and quick dial... They are in the right place, but just not making contact. Think this is an issue of the buttons not being long enough. Will see what Ikelite comes back with. So far, they have been very responsive.

I agree, that doesn't mean you don't have to do it though. I had that problem with a 7D and Ike housing. The plastic screen protector mentioned above on Nikons is a different thing.

Just to be clear, this part indicated below. Slide it up to remove.
4481177c.jpeg

I agree, that doesn't mean you don't have to do it though. I had that problem with a 7D and Ike housing. The plastic screen protector mentioned above on Nikons is a different thing.

Just to be clear, this part indicated below. Slide it up to remove.
View attachment 538687

May not solve your particular problem, but it's an easy attempt.

Back
Top Bottom