Ikelite DS51 Snoot??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jonnyola87

Super Intelligent Shade of the Color Blue
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey everyone! I'm looking for a snoot for my DS51, but can't find one specifically adapted to this model. Anyone know of one? Thanks!
Jon

This caught my eye as I've yet to find a suitable snoot for my Ikelite DS125 strobes.
Years ago, someone suggested using the plastic fin heel pieces that come inside of some new fins. Bungie them together, etc. I've also tried that with an old plastic above water small snoot that was used with a regular dry lighting kit. It doesn't exactly fit on the end of the strobes though and could easily get lost.

That's my concern, just rigging something that would be totally viable above the surface may quickly deteriorate under water. I've considered using foldable plastic sheets but I think the same problems would occur.

DS51 doesn't have a modeling light, so aiming the snoot, if you could get one, would be extremely difficult and frustrating. 10Bar makes a snoot with a laser aiming pointer, and Marelux SOFT has a built-in target light, but neither have a base for DS51. Given the costs involved, I would suggest just getting a Backscatter MF-1 or MF-2 strobe+snoot package.

DS51 doesn't have a modeling light, so aiming the snoot, if you could get one, would be extremely difficult and frustrating. 10Bar makes a snoot with a laser aiming pointer, and Marelux SOFT has a built-in target light, but neither have a base for DS51. Given the costs involved, I would suggest just getting a Backscatter MF-1 or MF-2 strobe+snoot package.
Good point, that does look like a great product. The only issue I think I'd have would be triggering it. My housing has one port for the Ikelite sync cord, so swapping that for fiberoptic would eliminate my other strobes. Unless I can add an additional port.

Update: I found a forum post on WetPixel by a photographer who mentioned using a DS51 with a snoot.

Here is a link to the product. Sold on UWcamerastore.com

Looks like it ships from the UK. Despite the aiming challenges, I may check this out.

Of course there is always the DIY option. I have seen a few solid examples people have made from PVC pipe segments. May give that a shot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom