Ikelite DS51 and Canon G10 won't fire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alijtaylor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone
I upgraded a little while ago from an ancient Canon Powershot s50 to a Canon G10. Today I am trying for the first time to set the Ikelite DS51 up with the new camera.

I am using the slave strobe, the camera internal flash is set to first curtain, the slave controller is pointed to the internal flash which I have not obscured yet, nonethless the DS1 strobe won't fire. But with exactly the same settings on the strobe it will fire when I attach it to the old s50..

One potentially relevant fact is the light on the back of the Ikelite strobe comes on to red but doesn't go green. I am currently living in the Solomon islands so the batteries may be less than fresh but they are brand new and logically if it will fire off one camera it should surely fire off the other?

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Alison

I have the same setup, only with the G7.

Do you have the EV controller set properly for "pre-flash" and for the "D51"?

When you turn on the flash, have you set the control dial to "TTL"?

Sorry to ask the next question, but you have taken the cover off the EV controller?

Hi Hawkewood, yes cover is off, but good question. I am not shooting TTL it is using the slave stobe to fire so I generally set it at -1 or even -2 as otherwise it blows stuff out.

The EV controller set to "preflash" might be where I am going wrong. I thought I brought the manual with me but apparently not. Can you tell me how to do that? I am assuming it is set correctly for the DS 51 as it will fire when I attach it to the older canon camera.. Both cameras are set with first curtain flash which I seem to remember is relevant!

Cheers and thanks again.

Alison

Allison,

To use the EV controller, you must set the D51 to TTL and use the manual settings on the EV controller to adjust the flash output.

Thanks Hawkwood and Phillybob. The key was the preflash, after reading the EV controller manual on the Ikelite site I changed that setting and it works. And Hawkwood, using it on TTL and changing the esposure via the EV controller will I am sure give me better resuts. Thanks to you both, can't wait to try it out next weekend.

Alison

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom