Ikelite DS-125 and #4103 sync cord

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssra30

Reaction score
Well, I decided to go with Ikelite housing for my
C5050. I have a quick question though, since I will have an option to use a sync cord with this setup rather than using the light sensor that usually comes with the Ikelite DS 125.
With the sync-cord, I assume that the strobe will work only as manual strobe and has no TTL capability, is this correct or can I still use it as either TTL or manual. Thanks for any info on this.

Correct, you can use the DS-125 in manual only i.e. full, 1/2, 1/4 and 1/8. Stick a manual controller in between and you can get a 10 step hardwired system.
With a non-Oly compatible flash stuck on the hotshoe (topside) I could only get it to fire in A and M mode.

Thanks ReyeR, another quick question. I looked through the Olympus manual on CD but there is no mentioning of super macro mode and external flash except that it works in slave mode.
However if I have the sync cord and set the camera to external flash only, would the external flash fire in super macro mode or am I stuck with using the light sensor in slave mode for supermacro?

Yes it should fire the external strobe in SuperMacro mode. You can leave the flash setting at 'Int + Ext'...

ssra30,

I've been doing alot of research lately, and having already bought a c5050 I am 'on the brink' of ordering my DS125 + Ikelite housing.

But can you help..... The DS125 is hard wired to the c5050 via a sync cable?? Does this mean the cable attaches to the hotshoe of the c5050 or somewhere else.

Also do you have the manual controller for this set up, or just the strobe and sync cable?

any info appreciated

I already have the DS125 which I have been using with my Oly 4040/Ikelite housing and just recently upgraded to Oly5050 and still am waiting for the housing to come.

Yes, the sync cord will attach to the hotshoe on the Oly5050 via a bulkhead on the Ikelite housing (not available on PT015).
I only have the TTL sensor but I was told that you can add the manual sensor along the path if you like, for the 10 steps control rather than the 4 steps.

The reason for doing this would be so that I won't have the preflash so the delay after pressing the shutter is not as long. However, you can also do this with the Oly5050 in slave mode anyhow. Sync cord may save a little more battery power.
Over here, many live aboards and dive resorts offer 3 boat dives during the day so I am trying to see if I can have everything set up so that I won't need to open the housing for battery change or memory card change and do it after the 3rd dive before night dive when I will have longer period of time to deal with it.

Of course with a sync cord, you will be able to take the strobe out of the handle and hold the strobe or do whatever you want with aiming without having to worry about a sensor pointing at the internal flash.

Ikelite will come out with a combine TTL/manual sensor sometimes early next year so I want to try this setup for awhile and see if I want to have TTL capability or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom