Ikelite AF35

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bflem55

Contributor
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has used the Ikelite AF35?? If you have do you have any pictures from using it?

This one is from a night dive last month. See more in the albums of the first link below the picture.

4681%20%28Medium%29.jpg

hmmm still dunno If I am sold on it I see just a red filter and get amazing pictures using it. I am going to try to post some of those pics today to see what you might think.

I looked at the AF35 when I was starting back up into UW Photography but after realizing I might get a little more serious I bought an Inon S2000.

The AF35s I have tried handled and performed as advertised. It just did not seem like a starting point that one can build on if one so desired.

One of the SB members dhaas has posted many wonderful images with an Ikelite housed S90 and the AF35.

I looked at Inon they are going out of business how about the ikelite strobes like ds-51 or 125??

Are you comparing a red filter to a strobe?

I'm pretty sure most of us here will agree that a strobe is superior to a red filter in regards to detail and color... especially macro photos, a strobe is not just adding the color red to your photo... it also gives you a greater range of exposure, there are simply some shots underwater that don't have enough ambient light to get the shot.

I still use my DS-50, which I bought used, and it performs very well. If you can afford a DS-125 or the equivalent Inon or Sea&Sea, go for it. They are very good lights. A DS-51 or AF-35 would definitely give you options underwater that you don't have with a red filter. All three of the companies make top-notch equipment for most users.

hmmm still dunno If I am sold on it I see just a red filter and get amazing pictures using it. I am going to try to post some of those pics today to see what you might think.

The red filter is a waste of money for most UW use, it will only work correctly at a given depth, at other depths it will either add too much red or not enough, forcing you to manual adjust the camera and it always reduces the light available to the camera. Learning to use the manual white balance function of your camera is a much better (and free) option that accomplishes the same results without the need for more equipment or reducing the available light to the camera.
A strobe is the best choice but of the strobes available, the AF-35 is a poor choice. It is limited in it's power but it's biggest weakness is it's mounting system. The mount is flimsy and if it breaks it does not appear to be repairable. The other big problem with the AF-35's mounting system is the way Ike installed the cables inside of the arm. It looks nice but the arms are too short for for most work and because of the design you can not extend them. Plus they are not flexable enough to allow good positioning for a lot of macro work. I know other strobes are expensive but in the long run if you do much UW photography you will want a better strobe very soon. You might as well get a good one to start with.

Back
Top Bottom