Ikelite 6116.10 (for sony rx100), is it that bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danilocesar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys,

I`m new to scubaboard and I was looking for messages related to the ikelite 6116.10 housing for the Rx-100 camera.
I've found a few complains and an user who replaced the housing at the same day he got it for a Nauticam housing.

I agree that the nauticam housing looks better (size and appearance), but is the ikelite housing that bad that is not worth the price?
Is there anyone happy with it?

Thanks,

---------- Post added May 16th, 2013 at 10:04 AM ----------

Perhaps this post should be moved to the Ikelite Q&A?

I believe I was that user. I'm out at lunch right now but I will upload some pics this afternoon to describe my complaints.

The main problems for me are that I will use full manual controls all the time. The design of the gear that connects to te wheel on the back of the camera interferes with some of the push buttons in some positions. To rotate it out of the way of these buttons will cause you to change settings. This was annoying.

The friction wheel that contacts the from ring around the lens did not engage consistently so it made changing the settings of the front ring inconsistent. I tend to shoot as I move while diving so I don't have time to sit still and fiddle with the camera.

The deal breaker for me was the horseshoe shaped part that interacts with the zoom lever. If you accidentally push it too far it will pop off the zoom lever and ten you can not get it back into position without opening the case. This was a concern because if I zoomed in on something and it popped off I would be stuck zoomed in for the rest of the dive.

I took pictures of these things because I was ggoing to post about it but never did. I think I still have the pics somewhere.

You can see from my prior posts that I really did not want to spend the money on the nauticam housing. But now that I have held both I can see the value.

All the function on the nauticam work as they should. I really like how they separated the rear ring and buttons. It makes it very easy to adjust. I remapped the rear buttons to ISO and white balance for quick access.

I really didn't want to ask my wife for another 500 for this housing but after showing her the problems and she is a photographer too she agreed it wasn't worth the money for the ikelite. I chose to return it before I got it wet or damaged it.

Thanks for your post 00wabbit.

I can imagine how frustrating those problems are.
I'm going to try to contact BlueWaterPhoto and check their experience in shipping to Brazil.
If they don't, I'm probably going to stick to the ikelite housing since BHPhoto already knows the procedures and I don't take any risk of losing my equipment due to bureaucracy.

But I'm really thankful for your reply.

photo (26).jpgphoto (27).jpg

In these 2 photos you can see the geared wheel that manipulates the rear ring on the camera is cut out to allow you to press the buttons. In some situations you will have to rotate this wheel out of the way to press the buttons.

Here is a link to a video showing how the zoom lever can come off. I have to worry about this stuff because I dive with dry gloves so I don't have the best dexterity for fine control on these knobs.
Ikelite case for rx100 - YouTube

Hi guys,

---------- Post added May 16th, 2013 at 10:04 AM ----------

Perhaps this post should be moved to the Ikelite Q&A?

I too am interested in the Sony and the Ikelite housing
Perhaps we should ask Ikelite like you suggested. They seem to have great customer service and if they aren't aware of the problems they can't fix them.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Thanks

---------- Post added May 30th, 2013 at 07:01 PM ----------

And at Ikelite they're still made here in the USA

I've just posted a detailed review on my experience with the Ikelite RX100 housing after four dive trips. Here's the link: Please wait

I'm in the same camp as 00Wabbit now. I have a nauticam housing which I use and also an Ikelite RX100 housing that sits in my closet.

Back
Top Bottom