If you were to move to Philipines...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KneeDeep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, I might not be moving to the Philipines (but who knows), where would you want to live, just for the diving?

The wife and I are planning our next over sea's trip, focused on diving.

Where would it?
Why would it be there
- And perhaps not just for diving
What type of diving (reefs, wrecks, caves(?)....)

I would really like to travel to a place where, if I were to stay for 3-4 weeks in the same region, I couldn't get bored with diving 3-4 dives per day. Even if I had access to a boat to travel 2-3hrs to reach a site/region.

My wife only plans on doing rec level dives, but I would also like to do a few deep/wreck/tech dives. That being said, that would/could cover a wide range of diving.

Where would your dream move/trip be?

A week of diving in Malapascua is absolute max. I need fresh water for washing!!

Three main areas for tec dive: Luzon(Anilao, Puerto Galera and Subic Bay), Palawan(Coron) and Visayas(Alona Beach, Mactan Island, Malapascua and Moalboal).
Ocean Deep in Camotes Island has twin set but I am not sure if they have "proper" tec dive facility. There is a deep wreck at 54m+ there.
Rag II offers rec/tec liveaboard trip to Apo Island, Coron and the wreck of Mactan Ferry. It even offers trip to Visayas last yr.

To live, probably Visayas area. There's an airport at Cebu (airports and relatively easy access is important when you're an expat), and there's a lot of varied diving in the whole area.
For a visit of 3-4 weeks, probably also the Visayas, and most likely with a move or two for variety.

I am glad you posted this. I was going to start a similar thread, but if you don't mind, I will sort of hijack yours.
I would like to know from some of the expats that live in the Philippines year round, about what are you expenses?
How much do you really need monthly to live there? I would like to dive daily and drink San Miguel nightly.
I am leaning heaviest towards living in Dumaguete, Dauin area.

Thanks.

Puerto Galera! not far from Manila if you want, but far enough to be a more relaxed atmosphere! Many things to do when not diving!
Subic Bay. Two hours away from Manila, a moderate Ex-Pat community, but a growing reputation for it's underaged Girley bars, and, the tourist croud that normally go's to Thailand for that sort of thing!
Malapascua. You'll be bored after a week. Not much othere than the tourist sites.
Anilao. Also not far from Manila, quiet during the week, busy on the weekend. Most Manila dive shops bring their students and dive outings there on the weekend.
Dauin/ Dumagete. Quiet, with Dumagete neearby for city excursions.
Bohol/ Panglao Is. Quiet, but many things to do when not diving.

All area's have great diving! It's the ammenities and attractions that will make the daily living more enjoyable! My Brother-in-Law will be retireing to Batangas Province, near Tagatay for the coolness of the mountains in the summer! My sister-in-Law lives in Bataan in the hills also for the temperatures in the summer!

Where ever you end up you will find yourself repeating dives every now and then. Malapascua is a quiet destination but if you're tech certified then there really is a lot to see. We have a multitude of dive sites from 45m to 120m+ on Monad Shoal, The Trench and WWII wreck Mogami Maru as well as the MV Pioneer Cebu in 115m if you're Advanced Trimix. So with all the great recreational stuff available it should keep you busy.

I would like to know from some of the expats that live in the Philippines year round, about what are you expenses?
How much do you really need monthly to live there? I would like to dive daily and drink San Miguel nightly.

It can be expensive here. The basic cost of living is cheap - but anything imported or 'western standard' is grossly expensive (higher prices than at home). Import taxes and customs see to that. You can only live for cheap if you eat local etc... Filipino food is generally (IMHO) very bland (basically processed meat and rice)... and few visitors can stand that for long without extreme boredom or getting scurvy. Getting decent fruit, salads and veg is shockingly problematic in some areas. There's only so long you can live on BBQ pork fat, rotisserie chicken, rice and over-sweetened bread...

Import taxes make scuba equipment, spares and service very expensive here. All international shipping has to be courier. Regular mail simply won't arrive - it can't be used.

Not sure of the accommodation costs in other areas. I live in Manila and have also lived in Subic. I currently pay 23,000php for 48sqm furnished condo with cable, guards, services etc in the heart of the financial/shopping district here in Makati/Manila. Some of the other condos in this area cost up to 100,000php per month. My mate pays 8,000php for a nice 2 bedroom apartment in Subic. It varies...

I pay about 2000php per week for basic grocery shopping. Local beer is ~30php from a shop...~70php from a western resort.

One of the biggest issues here is that local people are typically either VERY POOR or VERY RICH. You can image how that effects your lifestyle options. Nearly all Filipinos assume that foreigners must be loaded with cash..."very rich". That's why over-charging is prevalent. Locals see this in a sort of 'Robin Hood' context. There is a 'skin tax' on the "wealthy Americanos" (any caucasian is, by default, American...LOL). It makes an economy lifestyle very hard to sustain. It's also why very, very few backpackers come here...

Our house will be paid for, so lodging won't be of a huge concern. I thought I would get to live there for about two months this summer so that I could better judge what my actual costs will be. But fortunatley/unfortunately it looks like another job may have opened much sooner than anticipated.
Here is my most basic question. If your housing is paid for, is 1500 to 2000 USD enough to live and dive in the Philippines?

Thanks a ton for any help any one can provide.

"If your housing is paid for, is 1500 to 2000 USD enough to live and dive in the Philippines?"

And how!
You will be able to live well on that kind of money! Maid, Driver, Diving, so much more!
Philippine law, however, does not allow foreign citizen to own land! You could lease land, and build a house on it, or buy a condominium though! My wife was born in the Philippines, and can reclaim her citizenship, and be a dual citizen if we want our own property. Otherwise, we have her relatives.

Back
Top Bottom