If you had $200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesAAAA

Registered
Reaction score
if you had $200 what of the following options would you pursue? I have an spg, just looking for a simple reliable wrist computer.
  • Aqua Lung I100 (New)
  • Aqua Lung i300c (Used)
  • Suunto Novo Zoop (Used)
A backlight isn’t something I need (I do a fair bit of night dives but if I can shine my light on the display to see it I’m happy). My parter dives with a Suunto Vyper Air and I have yet to have an issue with NDL times with algorithm issues. I am more concerned with what will plan just work. Ease of readability is a big one if anyone has an personal use with a computer.

Edit: for my own personal use I don’t need a data cable or bluetooth. I will only look at the log immediately post dive when logging.

I have purchased the Oceanic Veo 2.0 used for $180, but also picked up a new one for $200 and $210 off of ebay. Big family and a couple of gifts. Just another option. Of note, a cable off of ebay will be another $70. So yeah, a vote for bluetooth isn't unwarranted.

I have purchased the Oceanic Veo 2.0 used for $180, but also picked up a new one for $200 and $210 off of ebay. Big family and a couple of gifts. Just another option. Of note, a cable off of ebay will be another $70. So yeah, a vote for bluetooth isn't unwarranted.
I considered the veo but it appears to just be the older version of the i200 which is slightly outside my budget. I appreciate the vote though, another one to consider.

Suunto seems to have spotty depth sensors, so I would avoid.

If you are doing a fair bit of night diving I would get something with a backlight for ease of use and so you can adequately monitor your buoyancy. Also, the backlight isnt just useful for night diving, but for times of low viz. Hell even the shadow of a wreck can obscure your depth reading on a nonback lit computer. You want your light pointed at your surroundings, not your wrist.

I'm not going to mention shearwater :wink: but wrist mounted and backlight are probably the two absolute necessities for a recreational dive computer. Algorithm, data cable, etc are all extra 'perks'.

If you are doing a fair bit of night diving I would get something with a backlight for ease of use and so you can adequately monitor your buoyancy. Also, the backlight isnt just useful for night diving, but for times of low viz. Hell even the shadow of a wreck can obscure your depth reading on a nonback lit computer. You want your light pointed at your surroundings, not your wrist.

I'm not going to mention shearwater :wink: but wrist mounted and backlight are probably the two absolute necessities for a recreational dive computer. Algorithm, data cable, etc are all extra 'perks'.
Regarding computer without a constant backlight, I have to use a light on my spg so using a light on a computer is no issue and I do that anyways currently. Shearwater is not currently something I am interested in pursuing. The bigblue I have is perfectly fine to check my gauges occasionally to ensure nothing is gone wrong. I do appreciate the comments. In this price range, what would you choose?

I appreciate the response. If you didnt care about bluetooth would your response be the same? I personally don’t have any use for bluetooth.

How are you planning to download your dives? Getting a dive computer without bluetooth means you have to buy the download cable and those typically cost around $100.

Suunto seems to have spotty depth sensors, so I would avoid.
From what I have gathered the issues have been fixed (but time will tell). The law suit seems to have covered most of their products so hopefully their sensor issues have been fixed. Without diving any of the above computers, the suunto appears like it would be the easiest to read. What would you choose?

Back
Top Bottom