If you could only dive from one place in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Griffo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi!
My wife and I will be Belize & Mexico for a month from the end of March this year. We're putting together the itinerary, and probably will spend 1.5 weeks in Belize then head up to the Yucatan peninsular (Belize seems really expensive compared?)

Anyway, it's likely we will only have time to dive from one place in Belize. The current plan is to start in San Ignacio for the ruins etc, then head to someone else in Belize for 4-5 days diving before making our way up to Playa / Coz / Holbox etc.

So.. we'll only have time for one dive resort stay, and likely will never get to return.

So. for those that are familiar with Belize, if you had to only dive one place ever again, which would it be and why?

I have around 200 dives, the wife 100 if that matters.

Thanks!

How much money? I would dive turneffe resort as it’s pound for pound the best diving in Belize and I personally have seen lots of whale sharks/ so would skip Placencia... but it’s going to run you around $1700 per person for 3 nights.

That being said. Anywhere on Ambergris Caye is very decent diving. You can also dive from Caye Caulker and Stay there if you want a very quiet time. Ambergris Caye has an embarrassment of divesites. I’ve been diving here for years and have done hundreds of dives off the caye and never been bored. I’m actually on Ambergris Caye right now...lying awake... waiting to dive in 5 hours at Victoria canyons :)

I've dove Glovers, Turneffe, and lighthouse. If I had to pick one strictly based on diving I'd go to Lighthouse. With that said, it limits your accommodation options and schedule. All three of those atolls have their unique qualities, and in my opinion are all pretty good. I think Lighthouse provides the best variety, reef life, and have seen more sharks off there and at Half Moon. It also puts you on the door step of the Blue hole if that interests you. If I had to put it together with accommodations I might give you a different answer. I wouldn't hesitate to go back to any of them or the places we've stayed.

The best diving is in the outer atolls but the resorts are expensive. You could stay on Ambergris or Caulker for $100/nt and mix a few atoll trips at $200/ea with a few local reefs at $100/ea. if you want to keep the cost down. The Blue Hole for $300 was a "been there, got the shirt" dive for the logbook for me but you'll hit a few other outer dive sites on the trip that are very good.

As above, the outer atolls are where it's at. Would not recommend Ambergris, reef there was not very healthy and the topography was pretty boring. Lighthouse reef, Aquarium and several other dive sites in that area are great. It would mean staying at one of the more expensive resorts though.

If cost isn't a huge factor, Turneffe Island Resort.
But spend a week to take advantage of many different dive sites, a night dive, and the Blue Hole trip (Blue Hole itself nothing to brag about IMO, but the included dives at Half Moon and Long Cayes and visit to bird sanctuary are worth it).
Also have the option of some bonefishing there.
And the service is first rate.

I was fortunate in that I worked for 6 weeks as marine biologist/underwater videographer on a Lindblad eco-cruise ship that ran back and forth between Belize City and Utila so I got to dive many places that were not easy to get to. Then I spent two weeks diving with Belize Diving Services on Caye Caulker (less expensive than Ambergris).

Glover's Atoll Resort, Belize

I live just up the river from their base, where they pick you up.
I’ve stayed there also. Cheaper prices. Thatch cabins but great diving and fishing.

Glover's Atoll Resort, Belize

I live just up the river from their base, where they pick you up.
I’ve stayed there also. Cheaper prices. Thatch cabins but great diving and fishing.

Glover's is wear I'm heading next and from what I've read/heard, it's really pristine. Since I can't rate that one until April, my top diving destination in Belize so far is Lighthouse atoll. The Blue Hole is good, but a been there, done that experience. I love Half Moon Caye. Aquarium was aptly named.

I found that the only place on Turneffe that's good is the Elbow north of the cut, otherwise it's so-so.

Diving from Ambergris Caye was extremely disappointing. The only diving that was decent from AC, IMHO, was as south as the boat will take you towards and into the Marine Park. If there's a mix of divers and non-divers, there's more for the non-divers to do though, in and from AC. It has a variety of types of restaurants with delicious food and the prices certainly used to be very cheap. The nightlife is hopping as well.

Hope that helps...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom