If you could live in Mexico for a few months...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GirlonFire

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Where would you choose?
Ideally, I’d like to be close to diving but a short trip to do so isn’t a deal breaker.
Would also prefer
-somewhere warm
-A nice town/city for groceries and restaurants
-a decent place to rent
-not needing a car-Scooters are fine

How much diving would you expect to do? If diving is just one of several objectives, what are others? (I wouldn't count being warm, eating well, having good lodging, and avoiding the hassle of a car as "objectives" but more like quality-of-life criteria.) We're all divers here, but perhaps you hope to accomplish some other things during this period?

If my only real objective was to get some diving in while living the quality of life you describe for a few months, I'd hit the easy button and go to Cozumel. If longer term, I'd consider something else, but probably still in the Yucatan. I know you're in California, so it's not quite as exotic as the Yucatan, but Baja Cal Sur could be similarly nice.

I wouldn't spend it all in one place. I'd spend considerable time in Cozumel, and hit at least a couple of different places. Maybe one with onsite shore diving, like Blue Angel. Not all your 'Cozumel time' has to be in one continuous block.

I've read so many glowing reviews of cenote diving it's hard to imagine not seeking some out.

Maybe do a couple of dives in the Playa del Carmen area just to say you've been?

I'd want to visit some of the large Mayan ruins on the mainland.

Have you read any of the trip reports regarding Cabo San Lucas, Cabo Pulmo, etc...? Trevor JC Brown provided a guide in 2017.

Would you like to snorkel with crocodiles in Xcalak - see free access Undercurrent article?

From a diver's perspective, you could get quite a range of different experiences (including 2 different oceans, and some fresh water).

How much diving would you expect to do? If diving is just one of several objectives, what are others? (I wouldn't count being warm, eating well, having good lodging, and avoiding the hassle of a car as "objectives" but more like quality-of-life criteria.) We're all divers here, but perhaps you hope to accomplish some other things during this period?

If my only real objective was to get some diving in while living the quality of life you describe for a few months, I'd hit the easy button and go to Cozumel. If longer term, I'd consider something else, but probably still in the Yucatan. I know you're in California, so it's not quite as exotic as the Yucatan, but Baja Cal Sur could be similarly nice.
If it were up to me, Cozumel would be an easy choice.
Honestly we have no real objectives but to just be someplace different, warm and just live. Experiencing another culture for longer than a week or two...

Is there someplace with easily accessible diving on par with Cozumel on the mainland? I’ve only dived Coz, the Sea of Cortez via a liveaboard, a few Cenotes and 2 dives off Puerto Morelos.

We have done both coasts.
For 2 months with some diving I would do Yucatan. We did 3 weeks (not enough time) ( see trip report). I would base at Playa del Carmen, (if I was going to dive less 50% of the time) or close by(south) if wanting something smaller. If more diving then Cozumel. Taxi were easy and cheap. Did not care for the feel of Cancun, it was OK but do not think I would want to base there.
West coast of Mexico, Barra de Navidad or Zihuatanejo but not sure you would find any dive shops.
La Cruz de Huanacaxtle near Puerto Vallarta or even Puerto Vallarta (big City).
So many places and so little time.
I would put have put Mazatlian on the list but not sure it safe.
edit
I took to long to post and you posted more information. you have done the best Mexico already.

We spent three months each in 2012 and 2013. We would dive every other day. We did not rent a car and were able to walk to town, Sam’s Club, and the marina to catch the dive boat. We rented a condo at Palmar. Not cheap and we had to double our original budget. We really enjoyed it.

- La Paz, BCS. Awesome city with good diving, and you're just hours from different diving opportunities in Loreto, Cabo Pulmo and the other 2 Cabos.
- Cozumel. Great diving and a great island. One hour ferry to Playa where you can head south for cenote diving, Mahahual, Xcalak and Banco Chinchorro.

Cozumel, La Paz, Merida and Mexico City are topping the list right now.

Cozumel, La Paz, Merida and Mexico City are topping the list right now.

where would you dive in merida or mexico city ?

fwiw....i am with asteve on this one

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom