If you could fly to any of these for free....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crazy Fingers

Contributor
Reaction score
If you could fly to any of these places for free on a dive trip, which would it be?

Hamilton, Bermuda
Aguadilla, PR
San Juan, PR
Ponce, PR
Cancun
Aruba
Nassua, Bahamas (remember I live in FL so a cruise there is cheap...)
Santiago, Dominican Republic

The DR sounds pretty cool to me, but what do you recommend? Only the flight would be free, I gotta pay for everything else. So I would also want some place where prices aren't that high (rules out Bermuda I think). Easy to get around and lots of shore diving are desirable too. Plus lax wildlife rules so I can eat lobster at night instead of paying for restaurants!

Thanks!

I vote for the DR. I would like to go there myself. They have some nice all inclusive resorts that advertise reasonable specials and the diving is supposed to be great. My wife and I both dive, but we look for destinations that have some stuff to do on land too. DR has adventures such as caves, hiking rivers etc.

TOM

In the DR, the diving off of Puta Cana is pretty much lacking. It exists, but the reef is mostly dead. Not sure about what's around Santiago (Santo Domingo?) though.

I think my choices would be in the following order:

1) Cancun - because it's a short ride to Cozumel, which is fantastic. Mexico is also pretty damn cheap.
2) Nassau - because there is a lot of diverse diving there and the Bahamas are just fun all around.
3) Bermuda - beautiful island, but can't speak on the diving. I suspect it is worth some investigation. Complete opposite of Mexico - damn expensive.

Regarding D.R., you probably want to hang on the south side of the island, because diving is pretty miserable on the north coast.

Personally, I'd do Nassau, Aruba (much fun), or Cancun.

For me, probably Aruba first, Cancun second.

Aruba, because I've never been there, and it looks like you could branch out some from there with some short flights.

Cancun, because I go there every year (actually never spent more then an hour or two max in Cancun) to visit Cozumel and the rest of the Yucatan. We usually go for two weeks, one week on Cozumel, and one week on the mainland exploring. Being able to drive in a reasonably safe fashion or use the excellent bus system on the Yucatan allows us the do the exploring fairly cheaply.

Santiago, Dominican Republic

Aruba then Cancun...

My preference would be: 1)Nassau; 2)Cancun. You can keep PR, been there, aint going back.

Bermuda = 180-400usd per night, no fishing while on scuba, quite a bit north of the other locations so not as warm currently, 40usd/day for a 50cc scooter to get around because the bus drivers are not letting you onboard with dive gear, and on average a $12 hamburger (but for that they also give you fries/chips and maybe a pickle), oh and perhaps even more important $6-8 beers. But, the reeefs are pristine while not as colorful as some, and there's more shore diving to be done than you'll ever get around to. And, if you get here before monday you can go for a christmas morning dive off Elbow Beach with a few others and then join the fun as hundreds of people show up wearing santa hats and drink champers.

Hope that helps,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom