IDI reg, need info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm selling a large lot of dive gear to raise funds for a charity ( www.helptravis.org ) one of the items is a regulator set. I'd like some information about it so I can describe it to any potential buyer. Is it serviceable? What is it's market value? About how old is it? Any other info. How would this breathe at depth?

Here is what I can see:

Itis made by IDI International Divers Inc.
The 1st stage looks to me like a Scubapro. But is syas "idi" on it. It has a round turet with 4 LP ports on it
and a yoke that says 4000 PSI Service (high for a yoke)
2nd stage says "osprey" and octo says "raiser" both have round metal bodys
Oceanic SPC and analog depth gage in two hole US diver;s console
with LP inflator hose.

Conditin is used but very servicable. However you've be nuts to dive with a used reg without first having it serviced and checked out.

No, I'm not selling it here. It may appear under the classified section later. I just need to know a fair asking price and whatever else I cn learn about it

Thanks,
Chris Albertson

That's a pretty tough one... IDI went belly up. Since IDI was basically a copy company, nothing they had was really different - so you can still service the regs with parts from matching regs if you don't have IDI parts. The remnaints of IDI was bought up by XS Scuba and they also have some parts.

We used to sell that reg... and new they went for a couple hundered for the 1st and 2nd stage - so I'd hate to say, but overall with all the parts there, and the possibility of service being a little pain... Maybe you've got $150 worth of stuff... That would be my guess...

scubatoys:
We used to sell that reg... and new they went for a couple hundered for the 1st and 2nd stage - so I'd hate to say, but overall with all the parts there, and the possibility of service being a little pain... Maybe you've got $150 worth of stuff... That would be my guess...

Thanks. This reg was donated to a charity. My job is to sell it and turn over the funds.
I'll tell the person who donated this he can claim $150 on his 2005 tax form.. I'll sell it for a bit less and include an analog console. Did I guess right, that this is a scubapro copy? Which model is it a copy of.

I have an osprey reg set also. Come to find out they cannot rebuild them. Basically it is worthless junk. I talked to Larry at scuba toys and he said they could, so I sent it to them. I was wondering what was taking so long to get it back, so I called yesterday. I got Joe on the phone and he said it was still in the back sitting there. He said that there were no parts available to rebuild them at all. He said he could replace the screen and o-rings but that was all. Bummer!

Later, Hawk.

Edit to this Post: I called them back today and Joe had taken it apart to look at it and replace the o-rings. He said it looked in great condition, like brand new. They even tested it to see if it was ok, several times. No problems at all. Are these guys great or what?! Most shops would not have gone to this much trouble. Now if only I could convince them to relocate to central Oregon!

Later, Hawk.

Hawk:
I have an osprey reg set also. Come to find out they cannot rebuild them. Basically it is worthless junk.
You just need to know what you are looking for. Go to -

http://www.margaritasdivingrepair.com/

and Margarita will take care of your Osprey or any other IDI gear. She has parts, and she will do the service. She was the main engineer at IDI. What you have is very much NOT worthless junk, but a reg that will outbreath just about anything put out by most any other dive company. My son got certified this weekend and after breathing on a well tuned Aqualung LX Titan, a few hits off my IDI Osprey Octo made him say to me "Dad - can I get an Osprey too? It's so much easier to breath on."

bigredbill:
You just need to know what you are looking for. Go to -

http://www.margaritasdivingrepair.com/

and Margarita will take care of your Osprey or any other IDI gear. She has parts, and she will do the service. She was the main engineer at IDI. What you have is very much NOT worthless junk, but a reg that will outbreath just about anything put out by most any other dive company. My son got certified this weekend and after breathing on a well tuned Aqualung LX Titan, a few hits off my IDI Osprey Octo made him say to me "Dad - can I get an Osprey too? It's so much easier to breath on."

Does he really want an Osprey? If so you can have one for any reasonable offer.
The reg is not really mine. It was donated to a charity fund along with a lot of other gear.
My job is to sell all the gear and turn the proceeds over to the fund. So you can pick
up a good breathing reg, save a few bucks AND help someone who really needs it
(see www.helptravis.org ) all at the same time. You maybe able to claim a tax
deduction too.

I've found out that Scubapro Mk 20 parts fit the first stage. So, if you say it breaths well
it is because it is a copy of a SP Mk 20

ChrisA:
Does he really want an Osprey? If so you can have one for any reasonable offer.
The reg is not really mine. It was donated to a charity fund along with a lot of other gear.
My job is to sell all the gear and turn the proceeds over to the fund. So you can pick
up a good breathing reg, save a few bucks AND help someone who really needs it
(see www.helptravis.org ) all at the same time. You maybe able to claim a tax
deduction too.

I've found out that Scubapro Mk 20 parts fit the first stage. So, if you say it breaths well
it is because it is a copy of a SP Mk 20

What are you asking for it? and who is copying who is always a matter of some interest, isn't it? A copy of the Mark V copy is what??

bigredbill:
What are you asking for it? and who is copying who is always a matter of some interest, isn't it? A copy of the Mark V copy is what??

What are you asking for it? "any reasonable offer. I figure it is worth $85 but this is a charity fund raiser and we are selling off donated scuba equipment Just make a reasonable donation an it's yours.

Yes, "copy" is not the best word to use. "nearly identical" is better. So.... "the Osprey 1st stage is nearly identical to the SP Mk 20 and I am told can use SP Mk 20 parts" Better?

Back
Top Bottom