Identify this steel tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
The markings are M8303 Faber Italy 07 -89+
DOT 3aa 2400 89/9047 143

It's on Craigslist and the seller claims it's a 143 CF. But I thought Faber never marked the size on their tanks. In addition, I can't find any information about a 143 CF steel tank ever being made.

00W0W_dvROBZq7FQ6_600x450.jpg
01515_eF2TcWWTmIQ_600x450.jpg
01111_dlyHQJecxwH_600x450.jpg

I would like to know what the true capacity of the tank is and to know/figure out it's buoyancy characteristics. In my mind, I don't want a tank that is so large and negatively buoyant that BCD failure becomes a risk of drowning (I may have to ditch the entire rig and swim to the surface, etc). I carry a pony bottle, so in theory, I could ditch the rig and swim to the surface with the pony, but I like redundant options.

I appreciate the help from all you tank detectives out there!

No it is not a 143cf cylinder. The 89/9047 143 is the mfg serial number. The 89 is year (it matches the first hydro), 9047 is the batch number, and 143 is the sequence number (143rd cylinder in the batch).

To be honest it looks like an LP95. Could be a LP108. But hard to tell because of the angle of the photo. Have them send you some measurements.

Okay thanks, good info. I'll ask for the circumference and height.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom