Identify this shark please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Photographed in Belize 7-6-2014 4-17-45 PM.jpg

Is this same type of shark but pregnant?

7-6-2014 4-21-08 PM.jpg

Have always had trouble differentiating between these two. I think the second picture is a bull shark, based in part on the eye size (a bit smaller in the bull) and the snout ( a bit of a sharper angle in the Caribbean Reef).

Have always had trouble differentiating between these two. I think the second picture is a bull shark, based in part on the eye size (a bit smaller in the bull) and the snout ( a bit of a sharper angle in the Caribbean Reef).

Juvenile Reefs have sharper snouts than adults. Also, like bony fish, the eye doesn't grow proportional to the body so the eyes are larger relative to their body when young.

That's Jeff.

That jerk owes me money!

Usually it is the other way with sharks!

I don't' think the fat one is a bull. The dorsal fin of a bullshark is more forward (or the pectorals are more aft?) and lines up kind of midway of the pectoral fins. This one is behind the pecs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom