identify this reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rscott9399

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
REG.PNG
This was from a youtube video of a potential accident that was thankfully avoided.
From what im told, 10 year old on his OW training dives
I asked the video owner what the brand of the reg was and he said he had no idea and it was a rental

This video is one of the main reasons i want my own regs :)

Here is the video

Can't see what the 1st stage is.

Maybe a hose broke? Or possible the hose came loose from the LP port?

it's an Aqualung of some sort, looks like a calypso.

Octopus hose shot out of the first stage. One of two things. Crimp failed, or the first stage hose threads failed. Crimp failing is not uncommon, threads failing is something I've never heard of.
Crimp failure could likely have been caused by abuse of the octopus if it got caught on something and they pulled on the crimp fitting. This is a very common issue with the "golden triangle" regulator system where the octopus is often seen dangling behind the diver waiting to get caught on something

Brand/model of the regulator is 99.999% chance irrelevant as I would bet quite a bit that the crimp is what failed not the first stage. Owning your own reg wouldn't prevent

Hose problem, not a reg problem. That's why you look at your hoses before you suit up. Same reason you look at your tires before you drive somewhere. You DO look at your tires, don't you?

I had seen somewhere from the video owner that the crimp failed.

So if this were to happen at a recreational depth the solution is obvious. Get on your buddy, make an ascent.
No problem

What do you tech guys do god forbid his happens at 285 feet?
Im assuming the answer is a pony bottle or some redundant supply?

I had seen somewhere from the video owner that the crimp failed.

So if this were to happen at a recreational depth the solution is obvious. Get on your buddy, make an ascent.
No problem

What do you tech guys do god forbid his happens at 285 feet?
Im assuming the answer is a pony bottle or some redundant supply?

redundant air supply. No pony bottles in technical diving, that's a recreational thing
It's annoying, but not something that will kill you. In doubles you shut down that post and still have whatever is left of your breathable gas available *that type of failure drains gas FAST, like a full tank gone in about 2 minutes*, and if in sidemount you just shut that post down

it's an Aqualung of some sort, looks like a calypso.

Octopus hose shot out of the first stage. One of two things. Crimp failed, or the first stage hose threads failed. Crimp failing is not uncommon, threads failing is something I've never heard of.
Crimp failure could likely have been caused by abuse of the octopus if it got caught on something and they pulled on the crimp fitting. This is a very common issue with the "golden triangle" regulator system where the octopus is often seen dangling behind the diver waiting to get caught on something

Brand/model of the regulator is 99.999% chance irrelevant as I would bet quite a bit that the crimp is what failed not the first stage. Owning your own reg wouldn't prevent

Why is the brand irrelevant? The brand also manufactured the hose no?

Why is the brand irrelevant? The brand also manufactured the hose no?

yes and no. Aqualung may have crimped the fitting on, but they didn't make the fitting or the hose. If they crimped it, odds are it was crimped properly and like I said above, was damaged at some point by the octopus getting caught on something and pulled. They're pretty durable fittings but not designed to be pulled on.
It is also possible that the hose was old and due for replacement that caused it. Dive ops don't usually replace hoses on a time or number of dive interval because they aren't spec'd for change unless they're leaking or displaying visual signs of damage.

yes and no. Aqualung may have crimped the fitting on, but they didn't make the fitting or the hose. If they crimped it, odds are it was crimped properly and like I said above, was damaged at some point by the octopus getting caught on something and pulled. They're pretty durable fittings but not designed to be pulled on.
It is also possible that the hose was old and due for replacement that caused it. Dive ops don't usually replace hoses on a time or number of dive interval because they aren't spec'd for change unless they're leaking or displaying visual signs of damage.

Hence my desire for my own regs lol

Hence my desire for my own regs lol

that wasn't so much a point to say not to own your own regs, I heavily advocate for that, it was more to say that it isn't fair to fault Aqualung because it happened to them and even owning your own won't prevent it. Couple examples of it happening below. Doesn't happen often, but it's certainly exciting when it does. The bottom one is basically a brand new hose fwiw

20992831_10213056341715999_5514109035859063013_n.jpg

20953273_10159248134370603_9188447846651975537_n.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom