Ideas for topside activities prior to Cocos trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Doug Ebersole

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
My wife and I are going to Cocos in September. We're planning on arriving in Costa Rica a few days before the Undersea Hunter departs. Anyone have some ideas for some great topside activities? Anyone you'd recommend (or avoid) for trips to the rain forest, etc? Other ideas? Thanks!

I'm going to Cocos late Nov./early Dec. so would also appreciate ideas on pre-diving activities. Thanks!

Its good that you are going early. On one of my two trips to Cocos, we couldn't land in SJO and had to go to Panama City, and lost 24 hrs. Almost missed the boat.

A good day trip we did from San Jose was whitewater rafting the Reventizon River. We used Rios Tropicales, a great outfit.

Arenal Volcano is a great place, but IMHO not a day trip, as the drive is long, the best viewing is at night, and might be totally clouded over.

Of all the things we did in San Jose, the Gold and Jade museums are the standouts.

this isn't exotic, but the pool at the mariott is great. fresh fruit and drinks. just nice to relax a little. i'm going there in 3 weeks and that'smy plan.

Doug,

I recommend Rudy Guzman at Fiesta Tours. Rudy handles all the transfers between San Jose and Puntarenas for all three boats anyway, so he can take you directly to the boat after your land excursion rather than having to go back to San Jose.

Rudy will cater your land excursion to whatever you want to do - be it bird watching, looking for exotic wildlife, hiking, horseback riding, volcano, whitewater rafting, jungle canopy zipline rides....whatever.

The last email address (2005) I had for Rudy is fiestatours@racsa.co.cr. If this email doesn't work, contact Alan (Undersea Hunter Sales Manager) and he will get you a more up to date email address.

Email me if you need other info.

Manuel:

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely drop Rudy a line.

So, how have you been? It would be great to dive together again. PM me with any travel plans you've got.

Doug

Doug
Matt215 where is your sense of adventure - in Sept there will be no use for the Marriott pool as it will be raining! Although we will be meeting up with Matt in 3 weeks and will be having some frosty beverages at the Marriott pool.

Seriously, you need to go to Arenal Volcano, especially if you don't know if you will be going back to CR. We did our time after the trip to Cocos. Arenal has hiking, zip lines, white water rafting, horseback riding. hot pools (cant' remember the real name) and nice walk through the rain forest. Strongly suggest the Lost Iguana. We used Leo Rodriguez as our guide and transporter. leratravelcr@yahoo.com

Please let me know if you want any more specifics.

Nonie

Doug,

I just emailed you at your email address from 2 years ago (pxx.net). Yeah, I know, all of my addresses are two years old. If you changed email addresses, PM me with your new address.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom