Ideas for places to dive in Detroit area, was thinking about Gilboa or White star

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vlmuke

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, the wife and I are looking for places to dive in the Detroit area that are for a novice, I have been diving off and on for about 20 yrs but my wife recently got certified so I am looking for places to dive for novices as I don't want to exceed her skill level, I have only lived in the area for a couple years and was thinking about Gilboa or White Star, probably in the next couple weeks, maybe even during the week as I work crazy hours and I'm not sure how she would handle someplace if it were really busy, or any other places anyone could suggest.
Thanks

You could always go to spring mill pond in the island lake recreation area (near Kensington metro-park). There's not a ton to see there, but there are a few things and it's a great place for training, refreshing skills and getting comfortable with gear or diving in general. Its only 30ft deep with no current so definitely an easy dive.

Gilboa and Whitestar are both good choices. Just dive within your confidence and training level. I think the plane and helicopter at Gilboa is around 35ft. Many shops conduct cert dives at both places. However it can be cold at both places so be prepared for the cold. There is also Portage Quarry too although the viz there usually isn't nearly as good as Whitestar or Gilboa.

Is Gilboa pretty packed on the weekends? I kinda assumed it would or does It vary, and thanks mat we try that as well its not too far from us.

Ya Gilboa is pretty crowded most weekends throughout the summer. Avoid it at all costs the first week of September. DUI has their drysuits there to demo and it's absurdly crowded usually. Last year ppl were having a hard time finding places to park.

How is white star, is Gilboa dead during the week? I'm not sure how the wife would do with large groups of people its kinda hit or miss, sometimes she is great and makes her feel better other times she gets all nervous scared its kinda crapshoot

Gilboa is pretty dead during the week i went last thursday and there where all of 8 people there.

Both White Star and Gilboa should be quiet during the week. Gilboa definitely busy during the weekend.
Both are good choices. Gilboa's shallow side is generally 45 feet or less.

WS may be better for your wife's concerns. I would do the shore entry and dive the South wall. Pleasant fun dive.

Awesome Thanks everyone

Not to grave dig, but I was just at White Star a little over a week ago. There were a surprising number of divers for such a cold weekend. Probably 60 in total in the mornings.
Did you end up going to gilboa? I'll probably hit that when it's warm again. I've a 1/4" wetsuit, but it's not much fun after a certain temp.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom