Ideas for PI with a non diver : Dauin, Anilao, etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hiya,
I'd need some recommandations from you, seasoned PI vacationers & divers.:wink:

I've already dived Moalboal, Puerto Galera, Malapascua & Panglao/Balicasag. Willing to change but I only have a short week stay, 5 days diving maybe. Hence I cannot afford spending too much time going to remote Romblon or other similar well kept secrets.

Most importantly, my wife is a non diver, usually waiting for me around the pool or on the beach while i'm diving, we try to keep the afternoon for ourselves doing sea/landside activities other than diving (visit, swimming, paddle surfing, etc.) and like to go outside the resort for dining. Therefore we need a resort with a nice pool or a swimming beach, possibly with outside dining options nearby .

I thought first about Dauin but the resorts I contacted bumped me : "sorry sir, no more rooms : pls come back later". Another issue is with my schedule in between Xmas and new year, this is getting tight...:(

You have the background and the context. My questions now :

• Do you think Dauin would be fine, if so which resort would you advise other than Pura Vida and Atmosphere, both full ?(Read reviews about Atlantis, even read their "behavior" chart, doesn't look like my cuppa : after 600 dives and 10 years of UWphotography I am not sure I would like to get advised accordingly. I'll skip them). But what about the other contenders around?
  • To be honest, I would LOooOOVE to dive Anilao but I am not sure that would match with my non diving wife's requirements. Confirmed or infirmed?
  • Any other ideas elsewhere?

Thanks for any suggestions.

So you're looking for a new destination without travelling far from you point of entry to the country?

Subic jumps to mind. Baloy beach area has a nice beach for your wife and you can easily keep yourself busy with diving wrecks and reefs there. Andy(DevonDiver) will give you more info i'm sure.

Enjoy.

anilao great diving but for your wife, nothing to do and nowhere to go. how about Bohol ? at least your wife could go into Tagbilaran or do the choclate hills,river ride day trips?

Having a non-diving spouse is difficult to please in a diving trip. I believe both of you have to compromise on the itinerary.
1. Go to Anilao and stay for 3 full days. Have a look at the Taal Lake and return to Manila and visit the Itramuros and Corregidor assuming you had never been there.
2. How about Liquid at Dumaguete? Not a posh one but seems to receive plenty of positive comments.

Your wife could get bore stiffness in bothAnilao and Dauin. Eating out is your another concern.

For your wifes sake, I recommend:

1. Panglao/Tagbilarin visiting the different terrestrial attractions around Bohol
OR YOU COULD TRY ANDA I have not been yet, but you can rent a car and be free to cruise around Bohol during none diving times..

2. Mactan: Diving is not the best but you can make day trips to Cabilao your wife should be content at some of the nicer resorts in Mactan, plus there is a lot to see in Cebu City..

3. I think your wife might be disapointed in Anilao..

Cheers,
Roger

your wife will love you if you go scuba diving at to EL NIDO :D

lots of non diver activities there .

I have the same problem any time I go diving as my wife is a non-diver.

I have done all the spots you have as well. Last year I chose Dauin. We stayed at Mike's Beach Resort. The diving there is fantastic and its one of the easiest places to get to. There are multiple flights from Manila and Cebu daily. It takes about 15 to 20 minutes by van from the airport to the resort. There is not much going on in Dauin, but Dumaguete is just up the road. My wife went shopping there almost daily.
It is the first place we plan to re-visit in the Philippines and are very seriously considering buying a house there we liked it that much.

Good luck and I wish you a great trip no matter where you go.

My wife is a non-dver as well. I would avoid Anilao. For a non-diver there is nowhere to go and nothing much to do. There is no beach, shoreline is rocky but the diving is very good.

As for Dauin in Dumaguete, there are several nice dive resorts but the beaches are not too interesting. Dark sand and waters are silty. However, great muck diving. Also, Apo Island is just a short boat ride away. Dumaguete is a nice city but one afternoon in town is all you need to get your fill.

Here is what I recommend for a weeks' stay:
1. Bohol' Alona Beach (as others have recommended). Your wife can do the Chocolate Hills tour and shop in Tagbilaran City while you go diving. I have personally done this with my wife. Fly in and out of Tagbilaran City. Very easy.
2. Mactan in Cebu (as others have recommended). Your wife can shop til she drops at Mactan or enjoy the beach in any of Mactan's world class resorts. Diving is so-so (I have heard). Fly in and out of Mactan.

Note: There are international flights that land in Cebu. If you do pick Mactan or even Alona Beach (Bohol) which is just a short ferry ride from Mactan, you can catch a flight to Mactan from HK. No need to go through Manila if you don't need to be there.

Hi Luko,

if its Anilao (since you've pretty much dived around visayas region), you may try Sea Spring Resort.

It has 2 huge pools and Hot spring facilities, and pricing is quite reasonable. I've been bringing my foreigner friends a lot over in that resort and they love the space, huge rooms fronting the sea. I may help facilitate the trip for you. 5 days (4 nights/ 3 days diving will be more than enough) Its house reef is secret bay so if your into photography, it will be solid. The wifey will love the hot springs. my email is paparazsea@gmail.com in case you wanna try out Anilao

cheers

Jun

[video=youtube;vNDoMgYSQiU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNDoMgYSQiU&list=UU4JUwF7E9FyAdtU776c2eYg[/video]

Didn't someone wrote about the construction of this resort was destroying the dive sites at Secret Bay?

Back
Top Bottom