Ideas for a month with a Villa. Flights to Bonaire too much :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ministryofgiraffes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi All,
Can i pick your collective brains for ideas of a place to go for a month between mid June-Mid July. The flights from Canada to Bonaire are just too high and annoying with mandatory layover in Miami to justify with a villa ( family trip) even out of season.

Couple of caveats:

Almost Anywhere in the world ok ( Indonesia probably max flight distance, (no Australia or New Zealand/Fiji etc)
Hawaii out
Needs to have a villa with private pool
Needs to be better than average diving to keep me interested for a month
Kids are 3 and 6
Probably not a resort as we have a lot of crap ( camera equipment etc and i will kill my kids in a small space over an extended period of time.)
Probably cap out at 12k for accommodation for the month.

Anyone been anywhere they can recommend? We are a bit late for decent Bali villas for an entire month, but i would be open to Philippines etc.

I'm looking for more of a 'we stayed here ( villa or town) and it was great' as opposed to 'what about Mauritius' etc. I'm just looking for specific recommendations ideally.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, my Manhattan apartment meets none of your criteria. You are, however, invited to visit anytime you'd like. Bring the gorilla.

Unfortunately, my Manhattan apartment meets none of your criteria. You are, however, invited to visit anytime you'd like. Bring the gorilla.

Agreed, $12k a month is way under what you'd expect to pay for a decent place in the city these days...much more with a gorilla.

We like Belize, Generally go to Ambergris every Jan for 2 weeks but are skipping it this year as we are off to Hurghadha in Feb. We stay in Caribbean Soul Villa at the Belizian Cove estates, It's perfect, but it's too expensive for a month for me i'm afraid...

I'd be very careful.....I will show up... likely 'completely in the bag' :)....but i always buy dinner for my hosts though... Chinese Tuxedo is a particular favorite at the moment..

I'd be very careful.....I will show up... likely 'completely in the bag' :)....but i always buy dinner for my hosts though... Chinese Tuxedo is a particular favorite at the moment..

No problem. If we're home, you'd have to sleep on the floor though.

Flights to Bonaire are high but are they offset by the cost of diving, esp for an extended stay? For less than $200 per week you can dive you rear off on Bonaire, how does that compare to other places? I compare trip value by dividing the entire cost of the trip by the minutes of bottom time I can reasonably get to create a $/minute bottom time number. If you are doing 4 or 5, 60-90 dives per day, it does not take long to make up for the cost of high airfare if you can comparing that to 45- 60 minute dives 2 or 3 times a day.

Usually true Herman, but It would currently be around 5-6 grand Canadian for the flights to Bonaire for my dates. And there would be an overnight layover in Miami airport on the way back with small kids. Villas we would stay in are around 9-12k for the month.

I’ve been to Bonaire a lot. I know the math, but it’s just not working with these flights with 3 non divers

‘so...no..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom