Question IDC Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone, hoping to get some advice from the community about whether to get my IDC or not. Already have my DM, currently based in London and am seriously considering taking a couple of years out to pursue a career in scuba 🤿

Couple of question I was hoping this community can help with:
- Should I get my IDC? I know that it is easier to get work as an instructor... But is it that difficult as a DM?
- I'm keen to work somewhere outside of the UK. How difficult would it be to get employment? I've looked at a few places but they all do not seem to be open to non-nationals.
- If an IDC is necessary, would love any recommendations. :)

Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone, hoping to get some advice from the community about whether to get my IDC or not. Already have my DM, currently based in London and am seriously considering taking a couple of years out to pursue a career in scuba 🤿

Couple of question I was hoping this community can help with:
- Should I get my IDC? I know that it is easier to get work as an instructor... But is it that difficult as a DM?
- I'm keen to work somewhere outside of the UK. How difficult would it be to get employment? I've looked at a few places but they all do not seem to be open to non-nationals.
- If an IDC is necessary, would love any recommendations. :)

Thanks in advance!
You are more employable, at a higher salary, if you can do more. A DM can lead dives, and assist with instruction. Period. In addition to having instructor credentials, other credentials worth having are diesel mechanic, IT guru, service tech for equipment, photography instructor, sales, accounting, travel agent, etc.

What Tursiops said.

How legally do you want to work outside the UK? Some places you'd enjoy don't allow you to legally work, but if you overstay a visa they penalty is minor. A lot of ex-pats live in these places making a living and paying the modest fine.

What Tursiops said.

How legally do you want to work outside the UK? Some places you'd enjoy don't allow you to legally work, but if you overstay a visa they penalty is minor. A lot of ex-pats live in these places making a living and paying the modest fine.
I'm okay with a little cheeky overstay. Where would you recommend?

Would be also interested to think where you guys think will be good for an IDC? I would like to avoid an instructor mill

worth to do it for knowledge and training gained, it will be very hard to make a descent living being a instructor unless working for a large shop.

worth to do it for knowledge and training gained, it will be very hard to make a descent living being a instructor unless working for a large shop.
I dunno. I think you could make a descent living. Just not a decent one.

(Sorry, bad SCUBA pun based on your typo.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom