IDC in Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Busdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Aloha,

I am wondering who does IDC on the islands. I do not want to train with any of our local instructors and not a big fan of the local CD. There are a lot of places in the Keys. However I do not like the attitude of most the operators down there. The meaning of customer service does not exist down there.

I will be on Oahu for a week in September and would not mind meeting a few of the different outfits. I would like to take the instructor course next spring/summer. When I am on Oahu I have the freedom to take a few days here or there to check out other islands and talk with other ops. I also have the freedom to extend my trip. This may mean a trip to Kauai to dive with some friends in Poipu.

Just throwing it out there. I would like to start the research now. I appreciate the assistance.

Bus/Jamie

on Maui, there's two, with my strong recommendation going to Maui Dreams Dive Co. They *do* know the meaning of customer service and will prepare you to teach, not just pass the exam.

Alternatively, if you're stuck with Oahu, I've met Ray Frey and seen the quality instructor he trains, too. I believe he's the CD at Dive Oahu.

Aloha Bus/ Jamie,

I just registered with SB today and saw your posting, so this is about 2 weeks late but I hope it helps you out.

You may also wish to consider Lahaina Divers which is also a PADI 5 Star Glod Palm IDC Center and has been so for over 25 years.

They have 2 Course Directors on staff, one full time and the other part time, 2 dive boats and offer two IDC formats to meet the schedule needs of virtually any Instructor Candidate.

The 1215 Format takes 15 calendar days to complete: 12 days of training, 1 day off at the end of the IDC, 2 days for the Instructor Evaluation (IE).

The 1020 Format takes 20 calendar days to complete: 10 days of training, 3 days off at the end of the IDC, 2 days for the Instructor Evaluation (IE).

Obviously customer service is a priority with you and I know from personal experience that on Maui both of those companies are top notch in that arena. I am intimately familiar with many the IDC Centers in Florida, I staffed many IDCs in the Keys and elsewhere in the state. It is my opinion that there is simply a different approach to business and life in general here in Hawaii than on the Mainland; I believe that the spirit and practice of ALOHA is the difference that you are looking for. Clearly, that difference is why I chose to live and work on Maui.

Good luck in your pursuit of your goal of becoming an Instructor. If I can be of assistance in any way please feel free to contact me via email at ogmots@aol.com. After establishing email contact I am willing to share my cell number for faster and more effective communication.

Chaz Dryden

Just have one more thing to add.

When you are deciding which shop to go with, make sure you ask them about any hidden costs. Some of the shops I've seen like to make you think you're getting a package deal, then you get nickel & dimed for every material and PADI fee.

If you look at the Maui Dreams site, they break it down really nicely as for what you're expected to pay and to whom. It's wise to get this from any shop you're considering.

I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions. When I am over in September I plan on swinging by a few of the shops and chatting with the CDs.

Back
Top Bottom