IDA 71 home build

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Packhorse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well one year after my first dive on the IDA I finally got my first mixed gas CCR dive done on my IDA 71.

For those of you that dont know the IDA range of rebreathers are Russian Military units. The IDA 71 was designed in 1971.

Yeah yeah, I hear you. But this is not the Lada of rebreathers. Its more like the Mig 25 of rebreathers. These were built at the hight of the cold war and no expense was spared in its design.

Originally designed as a pure O2 Chemical Closed Circuit Rebreather (CCCR from CCCP) it also had the option of an off board 40% nitrox tank for use or depths below 20 meters. There were several types available. A standard unit, an anti magnetic version for mine clearing and also a unit for high altitude parachutists.

Anyway.... I have probably done away with half of the original set up. What is left is the aluminium case, twin parallel scrubber cannisters, counter lung,Over pressure release valve, Auto add valve and many fittings.

Trim has been improved with about 4kgs of lead above and below the counter lung.

loop.jpg

The breathing loop consists of a MK15 DSV, rubber hoses from Abyss Rebreathers in Australia, 90 degree brass fittings from Bunnings soldered to the stock IDA connectors.

small.jpg

The counter lung has been modified. Instead of the exhale tubes traveling through the inside of the counter lung I have rerouted it out of the lung.
On the left of the lung I have added a P port that holds 2 O2 sensors that are read by a rEvo dream hand set and HUD.
On the top of the lung is the stock Auto add valve. This is basicly just like a second stage reg and when the lung collapses it adds more air.
Only one scrubber is shown but for dives deeper than 20 meters or for a weekend of diving I will use 2 scrubbers..
046.jpg

The tank on board provides O2. This feeds the O2 valve you can see connected to the green hose. It consists of a CMF (constant mass flow) valve that provides 0.8 litres of O2 per minute plus a manual add valve to add extra O2 when required.

Diluent is supplied off board by what ever sized tank is suitable for the dive. This connects via a quick connect to a delrin manifold that splits the gas off to the ADV, Wing, and drysuit.
ADV-1.jpg

The ADV has been modified so it has a button that pushes against the ADV diaphragm to add more diluent when required. Another Manual add valve for diluent much like the O 2 add valve will be added shortly.

case.jpg

My main aim for the set up was to try and keep it as clean as possible. Especially after diving with a couple of other RB divers who seem to have hoses, pipes, displays, valves and wotsits hanging everywhere. So far I am very pleased with the outcome and feels its a well laid out design. But who know, I may soon feel the need for more hoses, pipes and wotsits.

IDA3.jpg

IDA4.jpg

So whats next?
Add a crotch strap to the harness.
Change the DIL set up with addition of a swaglok quick connect and MAV (Manual add valve )
Water trap.
Set it up for twin scrubbers again.
Add a 3rd O2 sensor using another P Port and connect it up to a VR3 computer.
Add a BOV ( Bail Out Valve).
Add a small 1 Litre tank dedicated to wing and drysuit inflation

I have an IDA 71 and mine is setup pretty much the same as yours except my manual dilutent is added through the top left hand counterlung hole. I want to change this design for streamlining purposes.

Yeah yeah, I hear you. But this is not the Lada of rebreathers. Its more like the Mig 25 of rebreathers.

After reading this thread I started to be curious - did anyone made a reliability comparison for different RBs?

And as a tip:
In Russian language IDA means Isolating Breathing Device.
But i can say that most popular in Russia is IDA-59, but i don't know why.

And finally price. IDA-71 in good condition you can buy aprox. $350 (Like original one, without any changes)

For me - i'm afraid of this devices (such as CCR and. etc.). Oxygen poisoning is not very good thing for me...

My buddy often use IDA-72. But i think it's very heavy..

Back
Top Bottom