ID when using cash ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rje634

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are staying at El Cid, we got a couples massage this morning and paid is US $. They wouldn't take the US dollars without my photo ID.
Anyone know what is up with this????

Never heard of that before. Sounds strange.

Yes, as of our June trip 2010, El Cid wanted ID for ANY USD spent.... We discovered this for our lunch we tried to purchase upon our arrival for a grand total of $30.00 USD....:shakehead:... We ended up exchanging USD for peso at the front desk. However, they also needed a photo ID for their record. Heads UP... upon checkout, try to get the copy of your ID back. We actually ended up with the photocopy of a woman's drivers license on the back of our requested checkout receipt as EL CID recycles the unused sides of paper for copies. I did immediately tear the corner of the paper off where the ID was and shredded it and handed it back for disposal. Unfortunately, the check out rep did not fully understand that they really shouldn't allow that type of information to be passed on to the public. :confused: Regardless, since our October 2010 trip, we now make sure we always keep about 1000 peso to seed our next trip and just go to a bank ATM for peso.

We have not run into this situation anywhere else on the island. Restaurants, taxi's, stores..all take USD .... but, so be it...just use Peso....after-all, we are in Mexico...no worries.

Thanks for the explaination and the heads up..

Yes, as of our June trip 2010, El Cid wanted ID for ANY USD spent....

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm scratching El Cid off my possibles list for my next trip to the island.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm scratching El Cid off my possibles list for my next trip to the island.

me too! Casa Del Mar last August didn't give me any silly anti-dollar push back, why's El Cid being so 'special ed' ?

I was very happy with my stay at Casa del Mar last February, and no problems with my American dollars.

Even with the USD/Peso consideration, El Cid is still an OK place. Although, there are several other places that Michael and I have stayed at that work out just as well. It all depends on what you are looking for..

Last edited:
If you tried to spend Pesos in Lubbock TX, I think you'd simply fail. Most places in Cozumel will take USD, but that really is a courtesy - and there are Mexican regulations that actually discourage it.

But if that's your biggest problem, glad you're having a great trip. :thumb:

If you tried to spend Pesos in Lubbock TX, I think you'd simply fail. Most places in Cozumel will take USD, but that really is a courtesy - and there are Mexican regulations that actually discourage it.

But if that's your biggest problem, glad you're having a great trip. :thumb:

Your right Don... for me...no worries...use peso, usually...don't use peso, sometimes.... have a good time...YES ! Overall, it will all work out ! Have a Great time !

Back
Top Bottom