ID Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZMDiver

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone,
I'm a teen diver with little UW photo experience. I got back from a summer camp this year in Bonaire with tons of great pictures, but now need to submit them as part of college applications and need to identify all of my subject matter. Can anyone help ID the fish, coral, etc. in these pictures I've taken? I've poked around on reef ID sites, but have gotten nowhere... Sorry if I am in the wrong place on the forum, I looked and could not find a better spot to post.

Thanks!
Zach Matarazzo
ID help!-1.jpgID help!-2.jpgID help!-3.jpgID help!-4.jpgID help!-5.jpgID help!-6.jpgID help!-7.jpgID help!-8.jpg

I can't be of much help on actual identification...but those are some GREAT pics! Well done Zach!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PADI Rescue/DM 09100Z7445
Dr Dive/Wet Dream/Sea Cobra/Y-Knot

Diving is my passion...I live to dive!

Last one looks like it might be a Secretary Blenny.

#5 might be a Juvenile Harlequin Bass - they don't get the vertical stripes till they're adults. Harlequin Bass - Serranus tigrinus - Seabasses - - Caribbean Reefs

#6 [-]is a Bluestreak or Common Cleaner Wrasse[/-] - Sharpnose Goby? - see post below this one.

#7 is likely a Peppermint Goby - it's some sort of Goby anyway. Peppermint Goby - Coryphopterus lipernes - Gobies - - Caribbean Reefs

Agree with Larry, #8 looks like a Secretary Blenny. Secretary Blenny - Acanthemblemaria maria - Blennies - - Caribbean Reefs

The fish in #1 might be a Secretary Blenny also - or a Spinyhead Blenny. Spinyhead Blenny - Acanthemblemaria spinosa - Blennies - - Caribbean Reefs
My guess would be a Secretary since it appears to have "eyebrows"

#3 might be some sort of Goby also but IDK which one.

Last edited:
#5 might be a Juvenile Harlequin Bass - they don't get the vertical stripes till they're adults. http://reefguide.org/carib
/harlequinbass.html

#6 is a Bluestreak or Common Cleaner Wrasse - Bluestreak Cleaner Wrasse, Labroides dimidiatus, Bluestreak Cleaner Wrasse, Common Cleaner Wrasse

#7 is likely a Peppermint Goby - it's some sort of Goby anyway. Peppermint Goby - Coryphopterus lipernes - Gobies - - Caribbean Reefs

Agree with Larry, #8 looks like a Secretary Blenny. Secretary Blenny - Acanthemblemaria maria - Blennies - - Caribbean Reefs

The fish in #1 might be a Secretary Blenny also judging by the yellow ring around it's eye. Or either/both might be Spinyhead Blenny's.
Spinyhead Blenny - Acanthemblemaria spinosa - Blennies - - Caribbean Reefs

#3 might be some sort of Goby also but IDK which one.
I agree that No 5 is harlequin bass Harlequin Bass, Tiger Basslet - Serranus tigrinus

However, no 6 is not a wrasse, definitely a gobi. I think it's a sharknose gobi.

No 1 and 3 - a blenny, but w/o my id book I'm not sure but believe they are spinyhead blenny

No 7 a gobi but w/o my id book I'm not sure which one

No 8
Secretary Blenny or, as my wife calls them, litlle bugeyed fish.

However, no 6 is not a wrasse, definitely a gobi. I think it's a sharknose gobi.
You're definitely right. The tail was all wrong for my i.d.

thread moved to the I.D. forum.

Zach, you should be doing these IDs by yourself and then asking us to check your work. Now that's too late, but I suggest that you double check all the fish IDs on http://www.fishbase.org/ , there are some IDs here that are questionable to me.

Back
Top Bottom