ID Books

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve

Wow.....what a DB
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am interested in learning more about the fish I swim alongside (and others of course) and a simple "Fish ID" search came up with an astounding number of options. I am asking you what books you preferred so I can try to make an educated decision based on input from others.

I live in Canada so I do a lot of cold water diving (southern ontario fresh water) but also do a lot of Caribbean diving and hope to make it to the other hemisphere soon so name your book regardless of location.

Thank you in advance.

I have this set and love it. By set I mean I have the "Reef Fish" "Reef Creature" and "Reef Coral" books.
Ber :lilbunny:

I use this one and this one for local fresh water fish.

I just put a pre-order in for this one and ordered the one Covediver mentioned to beef up my library. I'm a sucker for fish ID books :D

I have all the Humann books, the Allen, Steene book, and a few others. But if you travel with a Windows PC this is a better option:

Reef Fish Identification, - Interactive 2008 Edition DVD from LeisurePro.com

It's a searchable database of fish in the Caribbean, including drawings, photos, videos, taxonomic, morphologic, habitat, and behavioral information on DVD.

I like the Humann/DeLoach books as well. I also like the book Reef Life for a general overview (something the ID books lack).

I've also noticed that the freshwater fish ID books are geared more towards fishermen than divers.

Tom

There has been some great advice given here. Thanks to all and I look forward to more if others have things to add. I plan to have my purchases made before my October trip to Bonaire so I still have time for more advice. Thanks again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom