Iceland Travel Advise on flights and places to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SentinelAce

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are traveling to Iceland for vacation in June (not sure on exact week yet). Was curious what is the best airport to fly into. We will do a 1 day dive to check the clear water :). But we do want to do the Beer Bathes, see the waterfalls, hot baths, Blue Lagoon, Northern Lights, maybe the Golden Circle or do the large circle? check out the best brewery's, check out the caves and what ever else we can. We plan on being there 8 days. Thoughts?

We are traveling to Iceland for vacation in June (not sure on exact week yet). Was curious what is the best airport to fly into. We will do a 1 day dive to check the clear water :). But we do want to do the Beer Bathes, see the waterfalls, hot baths, Blue Lagoon, Northern Lights, maybe the Golden Circle or do the large circle? check out the best brewery's, check out the caves and what ever else we can. We plan on being there 8 days. Thoughts?
I suggest you google a bit. Keflavik is likely the only airport you can arrive at. In June you get 24 hours of sunlight, so your chances of Northern Lights are zero.

IMG_1633.jpg

Greetings from Iceland.
Humans are different, but if budget allows, rent a car from the airport. Reykjavik.s city center (if we can call it a city) is 45 minutes drive from the airport. And public transport is not really best (pretty much non existent) to more around outside of the Reykjavik.
Yeah, no northern lights that time, but sun goes (barely) down for few hours that time. That gives you unique chance of sleeping on the day time and cruise around with your rental car in the late evening or even a night to visit all these busy tourist attractions without crowds.
Silfra (dry suit cert. required or 10 logged dry suit dives, confirmed by instructor * national park.s requirement) is the main attractions for diving and definitely worth doing ( I live here and work there and even go to meditate on my days off every once in a while). BUT - there are other amazing dive sites - Strytan geothermal vents up north close to Akureyri (check out Strytan dive center) , geothermal lake Kleifarvatn (plenty of bubbles + underwater craters). And many many more.

If you want some more information about what time of diving to do, drop me a message. Got my social media account full of photos for over 30 different dive sites in Iceland. Or just any other questions until it does not include question how do I identify myself as a human. *a joke.

But for non-diving activities - 8 days is enough to drive around the country. I did it with 4day with my girlfriend (included a dive in Nesgja up north) but it was a bit of a driving (about 3-400km.s a day). but great way to see all the landscape and visit tiny little villages and understand the true Iceland.

Lot of people do take tours and day trips from tour operators, but that can include sitting in the bus with 30-40 other souls and 30minutes given time on every stop and so on. Roads are in good condition and easy to drive in the summertime. All around Iceland. (until you do not go Highlands and for that you need 4x4 and not a little one - Dacia Duster is considered as non-jeep in here. So do many other similar city jeeps.

Husavik for whale watching (better than Rekyjavik). Spend a day or two in Vestmannayear / Westman islands ( they have beluga whale sanctuary there. Probably will be in the sea that time.

Plenty of natural hot spots and rivers (Rekjadalur hike and river- relatively easy 45min walk to get there- 35minutes drive from the Reykjavik).

Long story short - there is so much to do and ring road is about 1400km.s around the Iceland.
Either little up north and down south trips. Or take 10-14days and leave Iceland with feeling that you have actually seen most of it.

Its quiet here now and but we are even now, still running tours.
Not going to advertise for what company I am working with, but feel free to drop me a message if you want to be sure that you get a good service and if needed ( a great rental equipment).

All the best,

Ants Stern
( IG for the photos: @antsstern)

The highlight of our trip was horseback riding. Not something we usually do but Icelandic horses are unique and much loved in the country. I’d highly recommend it.

Iceland is my dream location, I planned to finally go there for a month in 2020 but all of this situation with virus started so I was stuck in my property in Spain for several months, than borders of the country were closed. Hope this year I will go there and enjoy.

I did the Ring Road and some detours in early July 2018.

The Ring Road, not including the detour to Askja, scuba diving in Silfra, the Blue Lagoon and visiting Reykjavik, took us 7 days and in hindsight we should have had an extra day in the South. This does not also include the days we arrived and left.

With 8 days, I would focus in the Southern Coast, until the Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon and back. Some highlights from this section below:

1) Golden Circle (including Silfra);
2) Seljalandfoss & Gljúfrafoss;
3) Skogafoss;
4) Sólheimasandur (plane wreck, 8km on foot);
5) Myrdalsjokull glacier;
6) Reynisfjara beach;
7) Fjaðrárgljúfur canyon;
8) Skaftafell National Park (includinf Svartifoss);
9) Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon;
10) Diamond beach;
11) Blue Lagoon;
12) Reykjavik;
13) Thrihnukagigur Volcano (Into the Volcano Tour).

We used a Dacia Duster for the whole trip, including the detour to Askja (involving crossing rivers). It seemed enough. If driving the South, you probably can get away without a 4x4.

Back
Top Bottom