Iceberg Snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spt29970

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all,

I just got off a 10 day live-aboard dive trip from Vancouver to Juneau on the Nautilus Explorer. The diving and photo ops on this trip were just amazing. I took over 3500 frames. You name it, we saw it: wrecks, stellar sea lions, glaciers, icebergs, bubble net feeding, breaching humpbacks, Orca, hot springs, salmon springs, bald eagles, bears. The list goes on and on. I have to share one photo of me snorkeling around the icebergs that calved off of the LeConte glacier. Thank goodness for drysuits. (Click on the image for more details)

Great shot. I could only find this picture from this trip. Once you upload the others I would love to see them. Let us know when they are available.

Sorry to be such a tease, but I took over 3500 frames! It is going to take a while to go through them. Also we are still in Juneau, and our vacation isn't over yet. We are going dog sledding on the Mendenhall Glacier this morning and hiking on My Roberts this afternoon. I will post more images when things slow down.

As far as the water temp is concerned, I didn't have my dive computer with me. It was certainly close to freezing, but might actually have been below 0C (32F) since it was seawater, but whatever it was, I wasn't cold at all. I had my drysuit puffed up a lot and was having way too much fun to think about it. In fact, I have never seen a group of adults giggle so much.

When we were diving away from the glacier, the water temp was a pretty constant 45F. I was fine for 40-60 minute dives.

Last edited:
Well we look forward to your return and the additional images. This sounds like an excellent vacation and I am sure is a boatload of fun (pardon the pun).

The camera worked just fine in the cold water. Some people complained that the batteries didn't last long, but I charged mine once a day (two dives per charge) and didn't have any problem. I did take care to open the strobes slowly since they have a sliding seal and the grease was noticeably more viscous. Here is one more from our outing with the icebergs. Click on the image for more details.

One of the most PERFECT photographs I've ever seen.

Simply amazing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom