I300c switching between EAN and Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin Floyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
i feel like this is a stupid question because I have to believe that there is an easy answer And I am just missing it.... how do you switch back from EAN to Air? On a recent dive I had an issue with my EAN cylinder out on the dive site, because my buddy and I were the only 2 on the boat diving on EAN the only extra tanks were air. This was the 3rd and last dive of the day. When I couldn’t get it figured out I just changed my O2 to 21 and did the dive. But there has to be a more simple way. I have read the owners manual and couldn’t find any help.

Well, I was going to paste a link to the manual and tell you what page the info was on, but I just looked through the whole document and couldn’t find it!

I am pretty sure that setting the mix to 21% is your only option - that is pretty common. Also pretty sure that 24 hours after your last dive the unit will revert to Air.

Well, I was going to paste a link to the manual and tell you what page the info was on, but I just looked through the whole document and couldn’t find it!

I am pretty sure that setting the mix to 21% is your only option - that is pretty common. Also pretty sure that 24 hours after your last dive the unit will revert to Air.

That's my experience when trying to help a random diver with his i300. Leave it on EAN and set 21% is a good solution.

Thanks for the info. I would have never thought to look in the i300 book. I wonder why they don’t allow switching. In my case not only did my 3rd tank have a slow leak but the fill station didn’t get O2 today so I might have to go on air for a couple of days. Why force a 24 hour wait to change gases? I won’t have 24 hours between dives till I stop diving to fly.

To my recollection, that has always been the Pellagic approach. If you change it to 21% O2, what difference does that make?

More important is knowing what happens on repetitive dives. Does it assume the previous mix, or does it require you to enter a new mix for each dive? I don’t know if it is still common or not, but if it wants a new mix entered for each dive, failing to do so would default to an impossible mix of 50% O2 and 79% N out of abundance of caution. That behavior can also be a configurable option on some models.

In that case, I would assume the thinking is that if you use EAN on a trip, you are likely to do so more than once, and it wants to make it harder to accidentally exceed an EAN pp limit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom