I went over to the Dark Side

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, can't say I'm much educated in the DIR thing. However, I am picking up stuff all the time. I got to try an Halcyon Eclipse from a friend once, and I haven't used a regular BCD since. I sold out the next day and got a slightly used Eclipse 40, and boy did it make new wonders happen in my diving world!

For instance, I used 14 kilos of lead + a heavy 300 bar steel tank to my BCD. ( 7 mil neoprene drysuit, ok?!) With the Eclipse I have the regular Halcyon back plate + a fixed p-weight (2,5 kilos) in the plate + a medium cannister (was there before also). In salt water I use 3 kilos in a regular weight belt. In fresh water the other day I took off my weight belt at 10 ft with an empty tank (steel...) and I still had 100% control.

So today I'm mounting my brand new 7 foot LP hose with a BIG grin on my face :D

-I'm on the fast train to DIR diving and you can't stop me! :07:

PerroneFord:
If he was DIR, he wouldn't have made the comment in the first place.

It was a joke meant to poke light-hearted fun at some of the current commentary going back and forth on the Quest list. Didn't mean anything by it. Matt knows me well enough to know I was just joshin'.

i use a 7mm farmer john type wetsiute and when i would be at 50-60ft when the suit compresses i would have to inflate the the venture wing up a good amount to were it was almost completely inflated.
i use 25lbs of lead

im 6'6 165-170lbs
2 pice farmer john
al 80 tank

i would use less but at the end of the dive i would be to + boyant

Captain CaveMan:
i use a 7mm farmer john type wetsiute and when i would be at 50-60ft when the suit compresses i would have to inflate the the venture wing up a good amount to were it was almost completely inflated.
i use 25lbs of lead

im 6'6 165-170lbs
2 pice farmer john
al 80 tank

i would use less but at the end of the dive i would be to + boyant

A double layer 7 mm wet suit is maybe even more bouyant than a neoprene drysuit with just a thin wool undergarment. If you need that much wet suit to stay warm, maybe you would benefit in more ways than just less lead from a dry suit in stead? I would certainly chose a trilaminate if I were to buy a new suit today. But I dive with what I have.

Gotcha! :05:

Derek S:
It was a joke meant to poke light-hearted fun at some of the current commentary going back and forth on the Quest list. Didn't mean anything by it. Matt knows me well enough to know I was just joshin'.

Back
Top Bottom