I use 36lbs with dry suit. How much weight do I need with a 3mm wet suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bertschb:
It looks like that's what I'll have to do. I thought somebody here might do dry suit and warm water dives with gear similar to mine and be able to offer their experiences. I only get three days of diving on the cruise so I had hoped to arrive prepared. Oh well- I wont be the only cruise ship diver who doesn't know how much weight they need.

I use 36 lbs in WA; in Caymans I needed 14 lbs; in Maui earlier this month I needed 16 lbs. Both warm water destinations I was in a full 3mm suit w/ no hood.

If you can't get a good weight reading before your first dive, try 16 lbs. If you sink easily, great. If not add 2. Enjoy your dive and on return take a little time with tank empty (i.e. low) and fine tune the weight. If you're first in, just return with 600psi or so and you'll have plenty of time to try different weighting to see what gets you to eye level. You may be a little overweight on first dive, but you'll dial it in from there. The divemasters will be glad to help as long as you don't return when there's a line forming to get back on the boat.

Have fun.

Great advice!

Thanks- I appreciate the help. I'll shoot for 16lbs and go from there. I assume you use a drysuit in WA????

bertschb:
Great advice!

Thanks- I appreciate the help. I'll shoot for 16lbs and go from there. I assume you use a drysuit in WA????

Yep. Just started, and will be using my own DC trilam soon ... can't wait. I'm also in a Balance right now too. Its fine although I like it better in warm water. I think a BP/W that transferred some weight to the BP would be great. I stuff the Balance full and still have to wear a weight belt.

Don't sweat the first dive ( I'm assuming nothing difficult, just fun warm water stuff ). Just remember you have a little work to do once you surface. When I tried this the first time it took me 2 dives because I had so much fun the first dive I forgot to do the boyancy tests when I surfaced!

One more question-

Did you go from a steel 80 in WA to an AL80 in the tropics to get to your 14-16lb number?

I'll need to add 5-6lbs just by switching from my E8-130's to the AL80.

Thanks again!

I dive here in the PNW in a drysuit. I'm 5'11 225 and wear 36lbs. Went to maui last yr and dove with 3mm shorty and wore 15lbs. So i'm guessing about ~17lbs give or take 2lbs for you. I dive AL90's...AL80s in Maui.

This should give you a good starting point I think.

bertschb:
One more question-

Did you go from a steel 80 in WA to an AL80 in the tropics to get to your 14-16lb number?

I'll need to add 5-6lbs just by switching from my E8-130's to the AL80.

Thanks again!

Yes. Steel on local dives, AL80's in warm water.

Really, what I was saying is not to sweat it too much until you surface from 1st dive. Make sure you sink well (not just barely submerge and slowly sink - you've got too little weight if that's the case). My guess is 16 lbs to start.

If you do sink, then have a great dive and fine tune when you surface. Otherwise just let the dive masters know you may need to add a couple of lbs and add 2 at a time until you're off an "running".

I've never exactly guessed what I would need when switching dramatically either location or gear. The fluctuations in my own weight from the winter dark skies and rain, to the more active summer period causes a 1-2 lb difference I'm finding.

I was taught to take 10% of your body weight and subtract 4lbs.

Just tell the DM you usually dive in a drysuit and need to do a bouyancy check.

Since the dive operator will be supplying the weights and tanks, and you won't know the characteristics of the tanks until you get there, you'll probably need to anyway.

Terry

bertschb:
I dive the Pacific Northwest in a DUI dry suit. The water temp is around 50 so I wear a full 300gm undergarment with 300gm vest plus long johns. I also use a Balance BC and an E8-130 tank. I'm 6' 4" and 210lbs. I use 36lbs of lead with this setup. For those of you that use 2lbs with this setup, please don't ask why I use 36lbs. It works for me.

I'm going to the Caribbean soon and I need to know how much weight I'll need when I switch from my dry suit to a 3mm wet suit. I will also switch from the E8-130 to an Al80. I'll add 5lbs for that.

How much can I drop just from the switch from my dry suit to my 3mm wet suit?

Your personal experiences are very much appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom