I think I got a deal today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arkman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I bought some used gear from a really nice guy that decided to give it up cause he wants to race motorcycles instead. I think he either wanted to be nice cause he knew I didn't have much money or he doesn't know how much this stuff cost.

I got the aluminum tank and 47 lbs of soft weights, a pair of gloves, a hood, retractor clip thingy and a nice bc hanger. I gave him 120 bucks and he is still planning on delivering me a steel tank, its just at his other house right now. I should have that in a week are so.

The tank is originally stamped in 99 and does need a hydro but I figure for an aluminum and a steel tank for 110 bucks (that was the original deal) I couldn't really go wrong. He just threw in the weights for free as well as the other stuff.

I think I got a deal. As long as they pass!:D

If you get the steel tank it is a deal. A used Al 80 thats needs hydro/vis in my book is worth max $50. A new Al80 with valve, current hydro, boot is $150 range. My shop charges my 40 for a hydro, 13 for a vis, and 4 for the fill. So if I bought a used Al80 and needed the hyro/vis I'd be at 103 right off the bat.

Soft weight is expensive though, and 47lbs is a ton, and would be expensive. A hood, gloves, retractor, basically wont sell on ebay for enough to make it worth selling ime. Still all in all seems to have worked out for ya.

If you get the steel tank it is a deal. A used Al 80 thats needs hydro/vis in my book is worth max $50. A new Al80 with valve, current hydro, boot is $150 range. My shop charges my 40 for a hydro, 13 for a vis, and 4 for the fill. So if I bought a used Al80 and needed the hyro/vis I'd be at 103 right off the bat.

Soft weight is expensive though, and 47lbs is a ton, and would be expensive. A hood, gloves, retractor, basically wont sell on ebay for enough to make it worth selling ime. Still all in all seems to have worked out for ya.

True, just the AL80 is only worth about 50 bucks. Although, with a little searching around I did find a place in town that will hydro for $24 so that helps, its normally $38. I also found out there is a guy that drives around the state with a mobile unit and does a hydro/visual eddy/fill for $30. I just have to catch him when he is close by.

I figure the 47 pounds of soft weight goes for at least $2 a pound used locally, sometimes more. That right there is almost worth the $120 I paid. :D

The steel tank will be delivered on monday as well as a new wetsuit and a mares spear gun (which i certainly didnt need:shocked2:). I think what he said is I buy the mares cyrano he will give me the wetsuit for free. He wants about $75 for the wetsuit and speargun. I haven't seen it yet but as long as its in working order thats a deal too!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom